Does anyone know this boat?

General Sailing Talk
SoloSailor

Does anyone know this boat?

Post by SoloSailor »

Hi all,
I have been sailing for around 18 months and currently have an Ultimate 16. She is a good boat but quick to heel with the bilge hull and also a little tricky for me to solo in stronger weather.
Just noticed this for sale in NSW and wondered if anyone knows it? It is part of a deceased estate.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-s ... ?R=9550789
'Yes' - I am interested in Investigators and 'yes' I have a very limited budget. ;)
Out of interest (is 2 questions allowed in one post?) - has anyone ever launched their Investigator at Marlay Point in Victoria and/or sailed in the race?
Thanks guys (enjoying the site - thanks to Ian for the heads up via TSP).
Mel
Yara50

Re: Does anyone know this boat?

Post by Yara50 »

Hi Solo
Note the single hinge on the fore hatch. That means it is an earlier model, but there was nothing much wrong with them. You can expect to have some centreboard maintenence issues if it has been on the mooring for a while.

Would be interesting to ask if there is a trailer for the boat. Might be sitting at the home of the deceased. Worth asking.
Big difference in value if there is no trailer, as suitable second hand trailers are almost impossible to find. Most of the new trailers are all designed for stinkboats, and are too high or too weak. Getting a new one tailor-made is circa $6,000.
That is not to say that if you keep your eye out for auctions, etc, that eventually you may be able to get a trailer suitable to modify at a reasonable price.
With no trailer you might be able to knock them down to say $2000. Also, a 3hp motor is light on, and probably in dubious condition.
It all comes down to whether you want a moored keelboat, or a trailer/sailer. If you are happy with a moored boat then you can get bigger keelboats for the same money.

Incidentally, the is a chap called Arthur, who has been advertising for months in the North Shore Times, who is looking for somebody to share his Hood 20 which is on a mooring in the Lane Cove river.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara