Ballast

billbat32

Ballast

Post by billbat32 »

Hi All,
We have just bought a fairly well worn 563 and have now been on the 'refurbish' job for three months. It is starting to look like a yacht at last. We are in Melbourne and would like to know if any owners are in the Western area.
We have a problem with the ballast. The boat has a 25mm thick steel plate centreboard but I can ony find one lead ballast that is in front of the keel box. None either sides or at the rear.
Is this correct??
Regards
Bill and Margaret
Yara50

Re: Ballast

Post by Yara50 »

The ballast is in rectangular bars. It is usually partially glassed in, sometimes you will still see a rusting hook that was used to lower it in. Being lead it is not that large. Have you had the boat in the water? If the ballast was missing she would float with the stern high.
It is highly unlikely that the ballast has been removed, unless the boat was sitting somewhere for a long time as a derelict.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
billbat32

Post by billbat32 »

Hi Ian B
Thanks for the reply about Ballast.

I have inspected the boat carefully and we only have ballast in front of the keel box. It is a big, glassed in unit with the rusting hook. None behind or at the sides.

Does anyone know if some boats were made with just the one unit?

Regards

Bill Bateman
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Remove the panel over the centreboard housing. See Photo. Measure the distance from the cabin sole (floor) to what looks like the top of the fibreglass next to the keel. Measure the equivalant distance outside the hull. Deduct maybe maximum 20 mm for fibreglass thickness, and the difference will be the glassed-in ballast.
The keel access and centreboard case.
The keel access and centreboard case.
Ian B
billbat32

Post by billbat32 »

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the photo. We have a loose two piece floor board the length of the cabin floor so may have a slightly different setup. I can put a screwdriver right to the bottom of the side of the casing and there is no ballast as per your photo. There are two fibreglass casing supports both sides at about the centre, and this makes me wonder if side ballast was ever fitted to this model??

I can see the rear floor behind/under the battery box and there is a smaller ballast there. It is much smaller than the front unit so I did not see it a t first as it is well hidden by the battery box. I have drilled into it and it is lead.

I just seem to have the side pieces missing.

Regards

Bill Bateman
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Bill- Where are you located? Do you have any info on the history of the boat? Sail or hull number?
Ian B
billbat32

Post by billbat32 »

Hi again Ian,

We are in Werribee just off Duncans road near to the highway. Just right for launching at Werribee South as it is only ten minutes away.
The boat is a 1976 model. Sail No. 12 (old like me!) The hull is sound and has good fittings but the front decks are a bit soft.
The spaces either side of the centreboard casing were so very dirty and full of gunk that I could not clean it enought to stop the new electric bilge pump blocking, so I have filled the spaces with concrete. I think that there was never lead there as the space is very narrow lower down.
Regards
Bill
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Was this boat on a mooring? Normally the bilges are bone dry and our bilge pump has never been used. Do you have any idea how the water is getting in?
Ian B
billbat32

Post by billbat32 »

Hi Ian,

The boat has sat on it's trailer with a poor cover for three years with a rotted door frame. It had loads of water in it.

It has been leaking through the deck fittings and window seals. I have been working on them for some weeks now and have about completed this task.

I still have three leaks to seal and then it should be dry. A new entrance door and frame has just been fitted. I think I made a better job than the original!! I have also put on a boom vange fitting. I am an ex dinghy and Mosquito sailor and cannot see how a yacht can be sailed without one.

Next week I will put up the mast to see how it all goes together and then rewire it all as no lights work.

Are there any more Investigators in the area that you know of?

Regards

Bill
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi Bill:

I've just hauled my new (S/H) Investigator down from Bendigo to Geelong, and after a bit of a fix-up I'll be sailing it from St Helens with the Geelong Trailable Yacht Club.

I understand the club has at least one other Investigator on its books, so call in some time if you want to check out another boat of the same class -- or just enjoy a friendly sail on Corio Bay, not too far a haul from Werribee.

Cheers,

Geoff Russell
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia