radio splitters

General Sailing Talk
bennyboy

radio splitters

Post by bennyboy »

HI guy's, having problems with the radios in that I installed a GME am/fm radio 90040 series,(discount buy from Whittworths) using a splitter box,(52doller's!)but my GME 27 M radio wont transmit!.enquiries through GME tech support, say using a splitter is not a good way to go,using a common ariel. obviously they have a vested interest,but I tend to agree with them. Whittworths took the splitter box back, and I am going to have the 27 m radio checked out, before I take the next level, like installing a AM/FM ariel,what do you reckon? whats been your experiences? I Inherited the 27m radio with the boat, and assumed it was working OK.The Idea of a common ariel appealed to me at the time,as I am not to keen on multiple arieal's!! on small boat. ----regards BENNYBOY
Yara50

Re: radio splitters

Post by Yara50 »

I just use a little portable receiver. It has a built in AM antenna and a telescopic FM one. Reception is good enough.
You might want to consider investing in a VHF transceiver- will need a new antenna but you could possibly use the existing base and wiring. VHF has DSE which can give your position if you have a GPS connected. I use a simple hand held GPS which you can get for about $100 these days.
Lots of discussion on http://www.trailersailerplace.com.au
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
bennyboy

Re: radio splitters

Post by bennyboy »

Hi IAN I bit the bullet and invested in a vhf radio and of course a suitable arial {thanks to the prime ministers hand out!) the 27 M radio inherited with the boat had seen better days, i had it checked out,and the verdict was it would cost more than 100 dollars to fix,so the decision to upgrade was made,into a VHF system,as my sailing intentions is to explore Morton Island /bay areas, and visit over time SYDNEY and and as many areas of sailing interest as possible!!, before the energy levels run out!. BOB K is setting the pace for those members who have the time and finances (LIMITED !) to do and share the experience with those members who still have their noses on the grindstone ! to keep the flame Burning so to speak! ----regards BENNYBOY :D