Youtube Investigator -bizarre but interesting

General Sailing Talk
snoopebj

Youtube Investigator -bizarre but interesting

Post by snoopebj »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBPfzUsI8o4

interesting rennovations from what I could see.
bizarre though - I think the video camera was strapped onto a cats back.

Hi all
Enjoying a winter refit working on the usual Investigator imperfections on what is otherwise a perfect little boat.
Have fixed the flimsy washboard doors and channels.
and work in progress
converting the pop top to a telescopic 32mm alloy pipe system with sliding barrel bolt locks
cutting out the botttom transom step for a proper cockpit drain
strengthening flimsy front hatch hinges and latch.
that should see me through winter and use up all my hard earned cash.
regards and happy sailing
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Youtube Investigator -bizarre but interesting

Post by Ozzie »

snoopebj wrote:

Have fixed the flimsy washboard doors and channels.
and work in progress
converting the pop top to a telescopic 32mm alloy pipe system with sliding barrel bolt locks
cutting out the botttom transom step for a proper cockpit drain
strengthening flimsy front hatch hinges and latch.
Emrys

I am now very overdue on my haulout, cant even sail as the keel pull is SNAFU. I was set with trailer serviced and car full of tiedowns last monday but it rained and the tide was wrong for use of my local ramp, luckily I got a days casual work, so it was not a total write-off.

I am very interested in all your mods above and would be keen to see pics or descriptions, particularly the washboard and poptop as they are high on my list this year. I have some nice plank striped sole plate ply I am hoping to use for washboards. Plus, I picked an SS downlight surround at a garage sale for a buck and Im going to put a small port hole in the top washboard (so I can watch my tender sink in storms without getting wet :shock: )

The video is interesting. I wonder how pleasant it would be in the cabin with that inboard cranking over.

Cheers
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Ozzie
Apology for late reply - ISP woes (very unusual) - a certain provider -(the ceo flies balloons) said after 4gb limit expired I'd go onto slower speed except did not mention only for 250mb before cutting out the service!! Look out for that one!!
Sorry to hear of centreboard problem -that draw line and link seem to be another weak point . I know the line was replaced on mine by previous owner so he must have had probs too.
I've posted pics and description of the washboards in the tech section - hope pics make up for the confusing description.
Pop-Top
The telescopic pop-top poses a bigger challenge. - I've sourced the alloy pipe from a local welding place here in the Gong. From his advice 32mm pipe is minimum for the outer tube to carry the weight of the roof. The main problem is that the roof has to be extended with alloy angle forward of the mast and welded onto the telescopic pipes extending through holes in the cabin roof. The 32 mm outer pipe then extends down just forward and flush with the chinese dividing bulkhead and bolting onto the forrard berths on welded alloy plates.. The two aft 32mm supports run up either side of the companionway. It might sound intrusive but the aft alloy pipes fit pretty well alongside the companionway step and the forward pipe supports act as handholds and compression posts in front of the dividing bulkhead.
Anyhow work in progress and keeps my feeble mind active. Will post any breakthroughs - and luck with your centreboard.
cheers

Emrys
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Emrys.Thanks for the pics.

I like the washboard setup. I think I will do something similar. I thought of making my top wide board so it would slot down in front of the lower section up to the height of the seat as added reinforcement for normal sailing and then have everything in place for heavy weather. I must admit when I need both boards in place to sail I am usually under motor and heading for shelter. BUT you should cover all possibilities and be able to batten up and sail in the heavy stuff if your donk fails I guess. I understand your poptop design I think. My later thoughts about this was to maybe tilt the top to save the forward part of the mod. But I will tinker. My mate has the telescopic style popper on his Court 750. It is an enormous top and works very well, very much enhancing the amenity of the boat.

How big was the drain you put in the cockpit. I think this is an important mod. Keeping cockpit water out of the cabin is good but you want it out of the cockpit ASAP as well.

cheers :)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Ozzie
Ta - yes you would only use the top washboard with safety harness in heavy seas / lying a hull or trailing a drogue (from the bow) - measures of last resort in a boat of this size. The two washboards do however stow nicely under the cockpit into a large L shaped channel I screwed in directly behind the centreboard tube. The six blue window cleaner storage buckets (Bunnings) slide three either side of this. The rudder (wide end) also fits into this channel when trailering. I bolted a small wheel on the stock end of the rudder for ease of sliding under the cockpit.
The cockpit drain will be the bottom transom step cut through to the cockpit floor with a rectangular plastic drain glassed in with a non return flap. I will post this into the tech section when I gather enough courage to cut out the hole.
I like your idea of a porthole in the top washboard - I'll have a fiddle with that also.
regards and happy fiddling.

Emrys