Investigator refurb/restore, taken a while but started now

General Sailing Talk
TrueBlue

Investigator refurb/restore, taken a while but started now

Post by TrueBlue »

Hi All,

Well I am the one that snagged the Investigator back in Nov 2009 in relation to this posting;
http://www.investigator563.com/forum/vi ... f=10&t=100

Thought I would post a bit of my handy work so far, of course Ian knows a bit about it already and helped me out with a few questions in the Tech section.
As mentioned in that post by Graham5494 it needs a tidy up, but generally it is in fair condition, nothing major I have found so far. Mind you have not as yet tried dropping the daggerboard bit hard on the trailer, but even so not really a biggy if needs some attention. Inside is fair but had lots of mould and dirt, as did the outside, mainly I think as it was parked up uncovered near a major road. It gathered lots of black dust :( I have so far cleaned it up with a 60% white vinegar, water and a drop or 2 of detergent as a wetting agent. This did very well with a stiff brush in cleaning the outside and in the anti-slip areas. I have then given a light cut and polish followed up with a wax polish and it worked rather well. Still have some dark spotting on the deck, cabin etc, suspect the black dust has got in to the glass a bit, but it is very faded now.

Sails are all fair, good shape and condition. The main is an original I suspect as it has the Investigator emblem on it. About all it needs is some slugs changed and the brass luff grommets replaced as they are about to fall apart, no big issue easy done.

The headies I'm not sure as the Genoa is a Lees and the other not sure. It has a working Jib and Genoa.
The Genoa I'm stuffed if I know how that was ever used, must have just run it around something as there are no running rigging fittings anywhere for it, I will do something about that one, thinking small track on deck sides with perhaps a running car with swivelling deadeye and rope cleat rather than a block, don't think it really needs to be a block.
Like this;
I suspect the Genoa be good to maybe 10-12kts tops and then be over powered anyway, change down to jib. I am also thinking of flying it from masthead, as when tacked down low at bow, lifelines become an issue. Can not use strop and use Halyards at forestay, not enough purchase to tighten it up. Thinking of running it off pushpit with a strop down to stem fitting for added strength.
My only concern with this setup, is if it will tack as there will not be a lot of room from Genoa luff to forestay, guess I can only try it and see :roll:

It has a few internal leaks (like with rain etc) some of the bigger ones are from window seals that have shrunk, drill out rivets when I get to them and replace or seal the windows up and re-rivet ally frame back in place.

Need to replace the hatch slides (I am thinking they maybe sail batten material so will go for a search and see what I can find. need to make something up for the hatch slides, still thinking on a couple options here :roll:

Needs a few blocks, sheets, a topping lift would be good.

That will do for now, will update as I get further along with it.

A few pics of progress 8-)

A Happy lad on arrival of another TS;

Well the mast goes up, rigging is all good;

Deck uncleaned, hands came up white and black after touching this mess;

After my vinegar mix and scrub;

Hull after wash and polishing, came up well; No shine at all when I started, very dull and white brokendown gelcoat on hands when rubbed.

Topside white after wash and polish now with a shine and should stop stuff sticking now;
Cheers
Jay
http://www.seagypsyonline.com.au
Life is a game, take up the challenge - Go hard or Go home :twisted:
http://www.SaveOurSeasInt.org
RobertB

Re: Investigator refurb/restore, taken a while but started now

Post by RobertB »

Hi Jay,

Nice to see you hard at it. Let me know if you want a hand with resealing those windows. In a past life, I was a glazier, and fitted and resealed thousands of windows.

Would like to see how your bimini fits too.

Cheers, Robert B
Morningside
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

Here you go Robert, as I said I would when I could.
It will give you a general idea.
The back side wings are not clipped here to pushpit rail as they do. I Hosted the main and then pushed gooseneck down as far as I could as if set for heavy airs. Both Luff and leech were pretty tight, I used the backstay to centre it as the wind wanted to put it on a run angle, but pretty well where it would sit over the top.

and then I found this ugly bloke that could do with a shave to sit in the cockpit under it about where I reckon you would using the tiller :roll: 8) :twisted:
Cheers
Jay
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Jay,

Thanks for posting those pics. I now have the idea of what to do before next summer.
Nothing wrong with a little facial hair. Why scrape off what God puts there?

Cheers, Robert
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Jay
Where is your mainsheet track? It looks like you have the standard one on the top of the transom. Methinks the mainsheet will foul the bimini if you have it right back.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

Yara50 wrote:Jay
Where is your mainsheet track? It looks like you have the standard one on the top of the transom. Methinks the mainsheet will foul the bimini if you have it right back.
Hi Ian,

Hmmm sorry for such a time between posts I have had a fair bit on my plate of late(least of all legal action with a landlord for business :evil: )

Anyway, to answer your question - yes correct main sheet and traveller are on the transom as standard. The Bimini has the back cut back and has a wing (what I call it either side) I am not 100% happy with their attachment points which are ontop of Pushpit rail, I am intending to place an attachment underneath the rail as it seems too easy for it to come of the stud on top when pulled tight forward. It may have been ok when newer but the snap buttons are not as tight I thin as they use to be. With it underneath the pull is up on the button and stud, where on top the pull is also up and this can make them pull off the top of the stud - make sense?? :roll:
The fittings are these;

I would think but not yet sure if it was to be touching the main sheet it would be with main let out all the way (as in running downhill) otherwise I do not see it being a big issue. When I can I will get another pic of it all up properly from the side so you can see the distances. There is enough (just) space across front to squeeze out onto the side decks to move forward, just need to release one of the forward straps either side to do.
RobertB wrote:Why scrape off what God puts there?
Exackery my view mate :mrgreen: 8-)
I'm so over shaving and have been for a very long time. As I am the boss man (Director) well I don't have that rule in our organisation(as long as neat) and I'm no longer in the "Corporate" world so to speak :D - not sure where the most stress is but - own company or corporate world???

As to the latest update of the refurb, well I have now got a hold of new eyelets for Main luff and a few new sail slugs, not quite the same but they will do the job as could not find them as short as the ones on this main. The originals are about maybe 25mm long, the new ones are about 32-33mm long, should not be an issue really.
The sail shackles to the slugs on this main are the plastic ones with a small screw in them and where I went did not have them, so will try these and see how they go. Only 2 or 3 to replace. I know WW have the others but it is a bit of a haul in towards the CBD for them and not somewhere I go very often if I can help it!!

Now while I was digging around with all the stuff that came with the boat, I stumbled upon the heady sheet system, sheets, small blocks for cars on cabin roof and the double blocks for the Heady Clew. So I will go with this for now and see what I think with use. That has save me some $$s and that is all a big help at the moment believe me :?

I have not as yet done anything for Genoa fittings, that will be later and will sail her with standard heady first when I can.

Have started to slowly clean up inside and hit it with the vinegar and it is coming up OK. The only issue I do have is it has a leak that comes out of an area inside the small shelves under the side deck ledge but actually on the circled bullhead and I can not figure as yet where it is coming in from the outside. Does not appear to be any fittings on the deck that would cause it. Hopefully will find it in time. Windows next but then again who knows she might hit the drink before that. I have a few weeks before another delivery/cruise to Airlie Bch - so you never know it may get a chance on a weekend, or I may even do it on a weekday when the ramps are quiet to check it all out in the water and see if keel drops and no major leaks :roll: 8-)
Cheers
Jay