Long time boatie, first time sailor

General Sailing Talk
Chief

Long time boatie, first time sailor

Post by Chief »

Hello every one, I am an avid boatie and have owned many boats but never a sailing vessel...I recently came across an advert in our local paper of an Investigator Trailer Sailer for sale which had an inboard diesel, I did not realize what an Investigator was at the time but was curious as to a small trailer sailer with an inboard diesel, I then spent many late nights studying this fantastically well designed little boat, the concept is everything I have ever wanted in a boat, trailerable yet seaworthy enough for offshore cruising. I then pursued the Investigator for sale with the little diesel with all intentions of buying to get there and find out it has been SOLD :o .......So now I'm a passionate fan of this very well designed little trailer sailer, yet I have never sailed a boat in my life let alone an Investigator. I am now on the hunt for a good condition Investigator with the galley slide out units??????
Also has any one else seen an Investigator with a diesel??? and if so what advantages are there by having the diesel??

:shock:
johnw810

Re: Long time boatie, first time sailor

Post by johnw810 »

Hi Chief
The Investigator Yacht Association has a few members that will be selling their boats in the near future. I will post details as I get them. I have not seen or heard of one with a diesel motor.

John

Mokum #145
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Chief
How about telling us where you are based? We may be able to show you some of our boats.

A diesel inboard is rare, as it only takes 4 of 5 hp to power an Investigator 563. There was one down in Victoria some time ago, maybe that was the one you saw.

An inboard diesel would be useful for situations where you are sailing in rough water (eliminates the problems of bracket mounted outboards in heavy seas), or where you want to do a lot of motoring rather than sailing, or maybe an owner who doesn't have the strength to lift a 25 to 30 kg outboard.

The only drawback is a loss of stowage under the step, and maybe poor access to the motor.
If you missed that one, it is highly unlikely that you will find another anytime soon.

Yes, the Investigator 563 is a good boat for open water, which is why the main market when it was initially introduced, was Queensland's Morton Bay, and also Port Phillip Bay in Melbourne.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Chief

Post by Chief »

Thank you for your reply's I am in South Australia and just by chance thought I would ring about the Investigator with the diesel and the it's back on the market!!!! :D The current owner seems to think it does stiffen up the boat a little but says it does take up the storage area under the step. He also mentioned it was a factory fitted diesel, going to have a look as soon as possible!! I can't think of too many negatives with the diesel option??
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

It would be reassuring if it was a factory fitted inboard, as one of the worries could be loss of structural strength if they didn't do the job properly.
Things to check out:
Sail Number?
Photos of installation- location of prop and prop shaft- does it feather?
All up trailering weight- can your vehicle handle it?
Price? The diesel would have cost a fair bit up front, but will not add much re-sale value now.
Ian B
Chief

Post by Chief »

Yeh from the photo it looks like a factory fit, he is asking $7500 with a new 6hp suzuki four stroke which has only done 2 hours work and he only used it to get in to his mooring, i noticed these boats have a cast iron centre board, is that a highly corrosive part of the boat in a moored situation??? The trailer is in good condition and I think he said it weighs in at 1250kgs?? does that sound about right? :? I have a hilux 4x4 which should be ok for towing but i must find out what the sail number is....Ian what is feathering???? :oops:
Fair Winds
Chief

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Hang on a minute- if it has an inboard diesel, whats with the Suzuki 4 stroke? Does the diesel not work?
1250 kg all up sounds about right- it is possible that the diesel does not weigh much.
The c/b is hot dip galvanised, and yes it can be problem on a moored boat, but many of our members do have boats on moorings. Thankfully the c/b is light and can be replaced with stainless steel or aluminium.

For a boat and trailer in good condition $7,500 is about on the money, and would be a good buy on the East Coast. Don't know what the SA market is like.

Feathering is when the blades of a prop are turned to line up with the water flow when the prop is not in use.
Ian B
Chief

Post by Chief »

Thanks Ian, apparently the suzuki is used to get in to his berth as the diesel has no steering a low speed which would make sense in a marina enviroment, he also said the diesel works great and he had spent $3,000 on it a few years ago, a replacement engine costs $6,200 for everything new engine, gear box, controls, loom etc. apparently the diesel only weighs around 45kgs?? I thought $7,500 was a pretty fair price, I can't find or know of another Investigator in SA. I'm going to place a deposit on the boat on Tuesday after I see the diesel running, I'll check to see if the prop feathers and also Sail number? Thanks for your advise and hopefully after Tuesday I'll be a proud owner of an Investigator!
Fair Winds
Chief

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Welcome Chief

There is a good article on motor sailing in the current issue of Australian "Sailing' magazine. Its a more a racer mag so I dont buy it as I get 'Cruising Helmsman'. I was at the local library the other day and noticed the story on the cover. Some interesting stuff about using inboards with the sails. In a nutshell its to do with running the motor but not under load because the sails are doing most of the work. May also apply to outboards as well in certain conditions. You can damage the motor in certain circumstances.

I motorsail a bit when I am going to one end of Lake Mac to meet people for lunch or whatever, about the only time I'm ever in a hurry on the water. If you ever decide to motor sail it may be of interest. May be worth a read for us all. It's not something I was aware of.

In regard to poor steering under inboard it may help to put a post on TSP as some of the punters there have inboards I think & have may have some advice :idea:

Like you I switched to sail and an Investigator at the tender age of 49 after a lifetime of powerboats, kayaks,tinnies etc. No regrets ;)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Chief

Post by Chief »

Thanks for the info Ozzie, I went and had a good look over the investigator for sale here in SA Sail Number 104 and it has been attacked by some elderly gentlemen who had some ideas on how to improve the design of the original investigator???? The front hatch has been sealed and glassed over and a caravan window put in it's place?? which looks hardly seaworthy? the starboard cockpit locker has been glassed over also and on the inside it has been cut out and opened up to extend the starboard side quarter berth?? there were three holes in the hull where transducers had been placed but did not work efficently so they were blanked and a new hole drilled?? The toilet was removed and a two burner gas stove put in it's place with the gas bottle under the forward v berth, an explosion waiting to happen?? There were a lot of holes drilled on the top deck with different ideas from different owners and the repairs were very poor. The only good part of the boat was the installation of the diesel, could have been a factory fit but who ever glassed over the forward hatch and starboard locker done a pretty good job and may have been qualified to install the diesel. I would be interested if any one does know if there was a factory fitted diesel in an Investigator as I have my doubts about this one, despite it being a very good job??? The centre plate has been removed and not properly installed as there are no washers or spacers either side of the plate and no bush on the bolt and it was clearly wearing away the bolt from all the movement. The hull, outboard , sails, rigging and diesel seem to be all in good condition, it's just has so many modifictions done to it and so many mistakes have been made that are not repairable??

Despite this boat having all the essentials that i would like in a Investigator I think I am going to pass on this one as it has too many mods and too many mistakes?? I think I am looking for something a little more original and little cleaner but I know I won't find another inboard like this one.

Boating's all about sacrifices: Inboard diesel with holes all through the boat??? or a clean boat with an outboard????
Fair Winds
Chief

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand