Investigator "Extensions"

General Sailing Talk
BobK

Investigator "Extensions"

Post by BobK »

Ozzie,

I thought perhaps we were getting off the topic of the previous thread (Boat heating & stoves), so perhaps we need a new thread.

Maybe you'd like to add your last post to this thread?

Interested in the pop-top idea. Hadn't thought of that at all. Our tack is more along your tent plans i.e enclosing the cabin aft of the mast, to allow the pop top to be raised in all weather, and to provide more (protected) living space in the cockpit. That project is proceeding, although I'm having to do a bit of re-design at the last minute. Hope to have these resolved next week.

In the meantime here are one or two minor mods we have made:

1. Removed the cushions in the forward cabin, and carpeted the area. The forward cabin is now reserved for storage etc., In the pic you'll see we added a net on the starboard side to restrain a couple of plastic crates with our tucker and other goodies. This arrangement means that you can get the clutter out of the main cabin (living) area, and have ready access to everything including the head. We found that this works very well. Talking to Robert B he has done something similar.

2. Added some webbing to the underside of the toilet hatch to stow the washboards. We found that these were always in the way or buried somewhere when you wanted them. This way they are conveniently stowed and readily available when needed. Close the hatch and they are out of the way and take up no space.
Attachments
Canvas 021a.jpg
Canvas 022a.jpg
Bob
Margarita #32
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Investigator "Extensions"

Post by Ozzie »

Bob sorry did not read your post before i put this on the end of the other one
The mods look great. I think I will do this as well. I have kept the front cushions on board now for 3 years thinking one of our daughters might join us for weekend :lol: Like that is ever going to happen
So I think turning into dedicated storage space has to be the go. If I get a stove I will make shelf to store it up high away from the sail bags

Repeated from end of old thread

Emrys

That is a nice poptop. Maybe I can fashion something similar from my throwout tent. I think with the boom right at the top of its track there will be plenty of headroom under it for me to stand up if I can get the PT that high.

Bob, I have been a bit of an aircraft tragic since I was a kid so I looked up the Navajo. Amazing such a modern plane would have a glorified choofer to heat the cabin :shock: . Getting back to my design days, that was probably safer than the designer in our office who cleaned his plans with shellite and a lit Rothmans in the same hand :o I guess its the same with stoves. You have to be unlucky. Its just that Im always aware of Murphy's ghost sitting on the pulpit waiting to make an ***hole of himself :lol:

Found a bloke with a 2B Maxie for sale, looking at it over the weekend.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
BobK

Post by BobK »

Here's some pics of our current project. Since these photos were taken we've done some mods and the tie-downs are now on the outside, rather than inside in these pics.

As it happens there's quite a lot of thinking and experimentation that needs to go into a project like this so if anyone has any similar plans I'd be delighted to share our experience.

The idea is to make a small boat more liveable in all weather. Although we didn't intend to when we first bought the boat we find ourselves spending extended periods on the boat so we figured it's worth the effort to make the boat as comfortable as possible.

The basic configuration is a boom awning, which has 4 aluminium tubes in pockets for support. In most cases you would probably only put up the boom awning for shade. But when it gets windy or showery the 3 side panels - 2 sides plus the front, can be zipped on independently as required. The sides panels can also be rolled up.

Planning an overnight this weekend at Mission Point on Pumicestone passage (weather forecast is idyllic) as a shakedown before our trip to the Whitsundays for the June/July school holidays.

Not an inexpensive exercise, but much cheaper and more convenient than moving up to a bigger boat.
Attachments
Canvas 016a.jpg
Canvas 013a.jpg
Bob
Margarita #32
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Bob,that looks brilliant. When you have bad weather you need the full bit and that certainly would make life easy.

I have currently have an 8x5 silver tarp covering my bimini struts but in the rain it's still mostly dismal in the cockpit, all it does is shelter the open hatch. I have not looked at the ins and outs of my throwout tent but if I have pockets for rods I may see if I can arrange them that way. You have maximum head room all the way across the boats beam which is good. When you go to the work of making one I guess it makes good sense to get the largest usable space for your efforts.

I got my stove... 2B Maxie. Will post on other thread when I get a pic.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Yara came with a pop top cover and what appears to be a full length boat tent. The tent is rather bulky and I confess I have never bothered to work it out. She also has a boom awning, as well as the bimini!

As we do mostly day sailing, there is not usually the time to put these up. The only thing we have used so far is the bimini.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara