Cruising the Tamar

General Sailing Talk
sol invictus

Cruising the Tamar

Post by sol invictus »

Has anyone cruised the Tamar in Tasmania?
been thinking of putting in at Launceston and cruising north to the mouth and back.
only 200Km from Hobart by road, so worth a go.

interested in knowing good places to anchor and possible wineries walking distance to the river...
I'll do some local research around here to see if any punter may have tips.
Steve
Investigator "Sol Invictus"
Melbourne
snoopebj

Re: Cruising the Tamar

Post by snoopebj »

Notice you are located in Hobart - half your luck ! just arrived back from Tassie holiday and contemplating returning with Investigator. Freycinet peninsula/ D'Entrecasteaux channel and the Tamar idyllic spots for sailing. Can't nelp you directly but noticed this couple had sailed a trailer sailer around Tassie and might give you a lead.
search on 'Across the Ocean with our Trailer Sailer' or
http://www.mtyc.yachting.org.au/site/ya ... ressed.pdf

Good luck
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
sol invictus

Post by sol invictus »

thanks mate, I'll follow up the link.
if you do bring your investigator down to this little Island, let me know.
I have spent quite some time down the Huon and was involved with the Wooden Boat School and the living boat trust.
I shot a doco of a 9 day cruise from Recherché to the Wooden Boat festival in Hobart. more than happy to post you a copy if you like, just give me a postal address.
it has some sailing shots plus lots of history of the area.
I will bite the bullet at take Sol Invictus up to the Tamar for 3 or 4 days next month. we are helping out at Festivale, in Launceston, so may take the week off prior to it and play on the water.
just waiting on my sail maker to fix up the genny to fit my new Profurl 260... yey...
for any one cruising the Huon and D'entrecasteaux channel, there is a great publication I would suggest.
Cruising southern Tasmania [cartographic material] : a guide to the waterways of the River Derwent, D'Entrecasteaux Channel, Huon River and their tributaries / produced and published by TASMAP.

cheers
Steve
Melbourne
sol invictus

Post by sol invictus »

forgot to mention,
the doco is not an ego thrip about me and my boat...:) I actually din't take any boats and shot most of it from a gorgeous 50 foot huon and cellerytop pine fishing boat (mother ship).

it is a little adventure organised by the Living Boat Trust in Franklin, tas.
it involves about 20 little boats. from a Mirror to a 25 footer sailing, and boat-camping from Recherché to Hobart over 9 days.
they have done it since every 2 years and it finishes off at the Australian Wooden Boat Festival.
apart from it being a fascinating history lesson (they had speakers each night) the sailing was sensational and it proved the point you don't need mega bucks an a BIG boat to go extended cruising.
if you are interested in doing a trip down here... it is worth a view.

cheers

David
Steve
Melbourne
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

David
Enjoy the Tamar with your new furler- sure takes a lot of the hard work and risk out of sailing.
I visited the wooden boat Museum - a lot of painstaking work goes into those boats - they are truly works of art- just varnishing the washboards, grabrails and gunnels strains my patience.
Your video sounds interesting I'll PM you on that one.
I will hunt up that Tasmap guide to south Tassie.
Thanks and fair winds
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'