Biminis

Yara50

Biminis

Post by Yara50 »

After a day in the mid summer sun, I can say that I really recommend having a bimini. On Yara, it is rigged with "Fastex" (backpack style) clips, so that it can be dropped rapidly.
Downside- you can't see the mainsail very easily, and it is a bit of a contortion to go forward past the frame.
Mine was made from the Bias 20mm tube kit. Recommend getting them to order in the 25mm diameter tubing as it would be more robust.
IMG_0263 (WinCE).JPG
IMG_0263 (WinCE).JPG (17.58 KiB) Viewed 8157 times
View forward is OK
View forward is OK
Image022 (WinCE).jpg (17.35 KiB) Viewed 8157 times
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Yara50

Re: Biminis

Post by Yara50 »

Since taking those pics I have moved the attachment point for the back tension straps further forward. It puts a little extra stress on the aluminium tubing, as there is more downward pull, but there is less interference with the main sheet.

With adjusting straps I can also make it lower or higher at the forward edge- usually has to be high enough that I can get underneath to go to the foredeck. When things get a little hectic it is a quick unclip, and down it comes, out of the way.
Ian B
Rod

Post by Rod »

WhiteWater 25mm tube bimini fitted.
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Very nice Rod. Looks robust and well designed. Please tell us more details- where did you buy it- was it complete or just the frame kit?
Ian B
Rod

Post by Rod »

Bimini was purchased at Bias Boating as a complete kit, cat # 6383. Comes complete with cover.
Easy to install, approx 2 hours. The bimini needs to be cut to length to give the correct height for the boat. After raising the mast, fitting the boom and installing mainsail the maximum height of the bimini can be measured when the mainsheet is hard on. In this case it was 60". I installed the bimini at 58" max height. This also gives 2" between the bimini and the poptop when raised.

We have just returned from a week at Tin Can Bay where it rained everyday and was blowing 20 knots plus. The bimini was much appreciated in these conditions especially at anchor. It provied a structure to throw over a tarp and provide extra weather protection.

I believe from the pictures Christina's bimini is installed a little further forward than Yara's. Sailing downwind at Tin Can Bay in these conditions there was plenty of clearance between the bimini and the main sheet.

With the two fixed support struts at the front it is necessary to unscrew the front strut at the top to allow the bimini to fold down against the cabin to allow the mast to be raised.
sol invictus

Post by sol invictus »

Rod

Is there a reason why you had the fixed struts at the front? I note your comment about having to undo the top of the strut when raising mast. If you reversed the whole thing then the Bimini could fold down towards the rear of the cockpit and operhaps more out of the way? Plus you wouldnt have the strut fixing point in the way of where I normally put my foor to go forward?

Just a suggestion

Steve
Steve
Investigator "Sol Invictus"
Melbourne
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the posts and photos of your Bimini set ups, sailing with some cool shade should make all the difference. I'm planning on extending cruising distances and times. (Also fitted EPIRB)

Just bought an Ocean South, small 2-bow bimini from Bias, (Cat #6336) and in the process of fitting it. Rigged the mainsail and measured up the free space from boom to deck (1.2m) and between boom vang and mainsheet (1.6-1.7m) in my case, the coamings are 1.7m wide.

My Bimini is size C, has a 1.5-1.7 m base width and 1.15 m height. On top its 1.4 m wide and 1.57 m long. The hinges sit just outside the coamings on deck (stretched out to 1.82 m) which allow it to fold forwards nicely over the cabin and hatch. This also makes it easy to walk on the side decks from the cockpit. Its height off the cockpit floor at the helm is 5'3" (1.6m). Can stand up behind it and all the running rigging seems to clear it in raised and lowered positions.

The side decks are sloping outwards so need to pack something under the pivot bases next up.. 8-)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Sounds great Andrew.

Any chance of a photo when you are done please?

Cheers,

Geoff
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Nice photos and interesting set ups fellas. Can't remember if mine was from Hunts or Whitworths but i could not live without one now except for a brief day sail in winter which is pretty rare. Combined with a pop top cover it makes life a whole lot more comfortable for extended days out on the water. Yes Andrew post a photo of the finished set up - you certainly won't regret installing one.
Attachments
biminipoptopcover.jpg
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Mark

Post by Mark »

Andrew,

thanks for the info. Based on your setup I have bought the same - I did measurements today which accord with yours but before I drill etc want to make sure I have the setup right. I also read your piece on your blog which I follow. When you get the chance if you can post photos they would be useful in copying your exact positioning etc. I had a quick play today and my initial issue is its height. did you alter that at all? If so how?

Regards

Mark