Kimberley cruise.

Stories and pics of Investigators on the water - and getting there.
Eximea

Kimberley cruise.

Post by Eximea »

G'day all.
I have just returned from another epic Kimberley cruise in Bella Rose, my amazing little investigator. An 8000 km return road trip is well worth the effort and expense to cruise this amazing place. And Bella Rose took it all in her stride. This trip I was solo and at sea for 42 days. Had some exciting passages like about 14 nm in 25 knots and rounding Cape Londonderry in 15 to 20 knots east to west. That was a turbo charged washing machine. The investigator revelled in it all although I had water squirting in around the front hatch and pop top seals on several occasions when I took waves over the bow, but things dry out pretty quick in that climate so not too much problem. Terrific place, incredible fishing, amazing waterways and waterfalls and exciting passages. Who could ask for more. I was concerned about the amount of food and water I could carry but had no problems. Plenty of fish to eat and water was easily topped up from the many creeks and falls that are easily accessible and the water was always very clean, very clear and very sweet. Fuell was biggest issue as I used more than I expected. Took 70 litres for my 5 HP 4/ Suzuki and 2.5 HP 4/ Suzuki on the tender. Returned with 2.5 litres.
My tender is a 10 ft Walker bay with inflatable ribs. Great to tow and stable but not really crock safe which worried me a bit but although I saw manny had no encounters. Here's some pics
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Kimberley cruise.

Post by Ozzie »

Wow Eximea, an amazing trip. I have traveled the Kimberly Coast in a 300m Carnival cruise ship and at one point we got in close to view the landscape. Rugged as all get out but amazing place. You are miles from civilisation and help so your courage, planning and resources are certainly to be applauded.

Our ship picked up a pilot in New Guinea who legally had to stay onboard to safely bring the ship through the coast to Broome. It was pointed out by said pilot that at one point in WW2 the Japanese set up a base on the coast but finding hundreds of kilometres of impenetrable jungle and crocs packed up and went home.

Chalk another one up for the mighty Investigator. ⛵️
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Hey Eximea,

Unreal, thanks for posting. Great adventure and inspiring too!

Can't see your pics though and would love to see them...
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Awsome use of the Investigator Eximea . What a great adventure. My word, you cut it close with the fuel though. Certainly something for anyone else contemplating that trip to well and truly reflect on.
Love to see some pics when you get round to it.
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Eximea

Post by Eximea »

Sorry about the pics. I'll try again. Don't know how many i can send.
Attachments
Kimberley sun rose. Amazing
Kimberley sun rose. Amazing
Feed of oysters. Huge. 4 is enough
Feed of oysters. Huge. 4 is enough
Look real hard you can see Bella Rose anchored.
Look real hard you can see Bella Rose anchored.
Falls at Glycosmis bay from top of escarpment
Falls at Glycosmis bay from top of escarpment
Anchored at sir Graham Moore island
Anchored at sir Graham Moore island
Bella Rose under king George falls
Bella Rose under king George falls
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Wow, simply beautiful
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Thanks for the pics Eximea, beaut.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Great pics indeed mate. Did you encounter many crocs or sharks in your travels , sorry edit re-read your post, you did .

For those interested in my comments earlier regarding WW2 and the area

https://www.ozatwar.com/japsland/japsland.htm
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Amazing voyage Exmea, and thanks for posting some info and great pics on it. How did you find the navigation and tides there? My Dad once worked with the pearl farm at Kuri Bay, (closer to Broome end of Kimberlys) and skippered a pearling lugger called John Louis for awhile (Still afloat at Aust Maritime museum, Sydney) he used to have slideshow nights after returning from a stint up there. So it's still on the bucket list to see that area, "one day" :)

That's a very interesting WW2 history link too ozzie, nautical-war history up north (My Dad in Aust Navy over 2 decades after WW2, before pearl farming) never realised that Broome got badly air-raided and the invaders destroyed so many flying boats and land aircraft plus people, including dutch civilian war refugees in a surprize attack. The japanese base was in Kupang, West Timor (which is a place i've travelled to just after it re-opened to westerners), a short air hop from Darwin.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Eximea

Post by Eximea »

G'day Andrew. Sorry for the delay in replying. Mate, get it off your bucket list and just do it. The place is amazing and a great place to sail. Navigation and tides are intrinsically linked. To navigate safely you need good knowledge and up to date info on tides, both vertical and tidal streams as they affect passage planning remarkably. And also when anchoring. I nearly had an incident anchoring in a small bay in about 8 m. of water. I decided on a scope of 6 to 1 with a tidal range of 5 metres. Low tide I was going to have at least 2 to 2 & half metres under my keel. Trouble was that when low tide arrived, my scope was about 20 to 1 and I was about 50 metres away from my anchor. Woken in the middle of the night by my shallow water alarm, I was nearly surrounded by huge jagged rocks sticking out of the water, some less than 5 meters away. Lesson learnt. Up to date charts, a biroller and pair of dividers and a good GPS and navigation is sorted.
Saw your post about tiller pilots. Mine is a simrad1000. I mounted it on the lazerett and found it to be excellent.
Cheers, eximea