What do you call your boat.

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

What do you call your boat.

Post by Ozzie »

https://forums.ybw.com/threads/do-you-h ... at.596461/

Curled up in front of the first fire of the season with a few links on the iPad. Interesting thread on pbo.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: What do yo call your boat.

Post by Peter T »

That's very interesting Ozzie. Personally, my last one was " the boat" for all the time I was building it. As it was a keel boat and therefore moored all the time, it became " the yacht" or " Windhover".
So, for the Investigator, it was " a trailer sailer". I have been working on it for around three years now and during that time, especially when I talk about it with the wife, it's " the boat". What I will call it when I start using it is yet to be seen. My wife just wants to go fishing on a lovely warm day and is not too interested in sailing it although she really is a very good sailor. She has no intention to sleep on it. However, that may be because of where we are , on Bass Strait. A weekend on the Tamar and that may very well be an option. She calls it "The Boat" ( When are you going to get THAT BOAT in the water? )
Now, I also have an AC Cobra replica sports car that I built from scratch. That is always called " The Cobra"
What all that means, who knows, but there it is.
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I usually refer to the 563 as “the boat” at home also Peter. If anyone asks I usually say a moored sailboat. That then puts the onus back on the other person if they want to ask for details. I had a smart Alec friend who took the tack “has to be a ts or a yacht” , I pointed out I’ve seen Australia II with its winged keel in the maritime museum in WA . They did not sail it there so that means it’s a trailer sailor :D. Pulled his head in after that :lol:

I think back to travels in Europe where I saw some of the fanciest yachts imaginable in places like Greece, Montenegro and Croatia…never under sail, always on the docks with people sipping expensive vino under shades. Should have been called houseboats .
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Interesting article ozzie, Like the guy in the story said "it's a "yacht" (or "swing keeler"?) if your young and single" and a "boat if your'e already accounted for" :D

Our family just call our I563 by name, "Teria".

For the general public it's "boat", "a sailboat" or "trailer sailer" (sometimes with "18 foot" prefix)
At sea on the VHF radio i sometimes use "TS Teria" for boat-boat com's but for the Aust volunteer Coast guard subscribed trip-watch service it's just my MAS (marine assist) 4-digit number. eg "4321"

Digressing a bit on "yachts".. yes the word "yacht" has in recent times been hijacked by the Gin Palace crowd and super-yacht moguls and is probably the first thing layfolk think about when they hear the term yacht nowdays.

Among sailers i've heard "Keelboat or "Keeler" used to descibe fixed keel sailing yachts (prefixed by tonnage for yachties, eg 1 ton keeler. or length "18foot keeler").

The I563 lives in the grey zone between light centerboarders and leadballast fixed keelers, a "keeled centerboarder" perhaps?
;)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Andrew wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:17 pm Among sailers i've heard "Keelboat or "Keeler" used to descibe fixed keel sailing yachts (prefixed by tonnage for yachties, eg 1 ton keeler. or length "18foot keeler").
I like that Andrew ;) from now on if asked, I have an 18’ keeler!

If pushed I can then go into a dialogue about how the WA Investigator has no swing keel, a shorter mast and blablah blah …. My this time the wife is kicking me under the table and the questioner has lost interest and won’t ask again :lol: .

It’s an odd thing but on the east side of LM there are two major sailing clubs. The Belmont Yacht Club and the 16foot Sailing Club, of which I’m a social member. When I joined years ago I used to think the yacht club was for the rich uppercrusties and the 16’s for working class people. These days however given the plethora of cheap and occasionally free keelers traded on the lake, the cost of a good sixteen footer would far exceed the cost of many yachts who are owned by members of the BYC. I point out if anyone asks my kayak will be 50 years old this year. Proves I’m not a boat snob by a long shot. :D
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

You raised a point that I had forgot about Andrew, and that is the call sign for Tas Maritime Radio. Especially if you use the correct procure by repeating three times. So my Investigator is also called RG764, RG764, RG764. However when we do call up these services, they actually know more about us than our boat's name. Where we live, what safety equipment we have on board, boats registration number, boats name, trailer registration, our radio licence number and a host of other information so I guess it is way more than any name we may call our boats.
So isn't it amazing what we call our floating things under different circumstances
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."