Old article about Sail - La - Vie (Spindrift) #114

Stories and pics of Investigators on the water - and getting there.
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Old article about Sail - La - Vie (Spindrift) #114

Post by Peter T »

The original owner of my boat passed this on to me. You might find it interesting.

Investigating at Forty-Three South

Note: This article was originally printed in the Investigator Yacht Association Newsletter. The Investigator Yacht Association is based in NSW.

On Good Friday morning 1980, with my wife Janet and youngest son John, we trailed our boat “Spindrift” to Cygnet, about an hour’sdrive southof Hobart.There we were to meet with two boats from theSouthern Division of the Trailable Yacht Association of Tasmania and a runabout that was to accompany the group for the trip. The final destination for the four days cruise was to be left until the last minute depending on weather conditions.

Heavy traffic on the road resulted in a slow drive, and it was not until after 1.00 p.m. that we arrived at the Cygnet launching ramp to find that the others had left an hour earlier. A note informed us that they were heading for Mickeys Bay in Great Taylors Bay on South Bruny Island. Our chart revealed this destination to be a long way away, so after launching we proceeded to motor-sail the three nautical miles down Port Cygnet and into the broad estuary of the Huon River.

An hour after starting we were off Surveyors Bay on the southern side of the Huon River Estuary and beginning to pick up sufficient of the northerly breeze coming down the D’Entrecasteaux Channel to enable us to stop the outboard and proceed under sail alone. At this point it was almost eight nautical miles across the Channel and into Great Taylors Bay, so I did some mental calculations before deciding there was sufficient time to reach our destination before night-fall
Screenshot_20230106_161222_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Our first stop was to be Partridge Island, so on clearing Mickeys Bay we hardened sheets to beat into a fresh sou-wester. As we settled down for our “bash” we watched in admiration as the forty-foot long sleek blue-hulled harbour racer “Vanity”, seventy-five year’s old, but now beautifully restored, eased sheets and sliced through the seas on the long reach back towards Hobart. She made as pretty a sailing picture as I have everseen.

We were hard on the wind on a port tack for a little over four nautical miles really relishing the conditions except perhaps for the temperature. A temporary break in the clouds about the rugged range of La Perouse and Pinders Peak to the south-west revealed fresh snow and this confirmed our opinion that the wind was in fact cold. After a couple of quick tacks, we sailed into the lee of Partridge Island and dropped anchor in deep clear water close to shore among an assortment of other craft.
Screenshot_20230106_162142_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
boat can tie up to the tripod from any direction.

About three nautical miles from the mouth of the Huon River on its northern side is a beautiful little enclosed bay called Egg and Bacon Bay. We dropped our sails at its entrance and motored into the calm waters, anchoring close to the shore to bask in the sun and enjoy a leisurely lunch, much to the interest of the local shack owners.

All that remained after lunch was to sail around Cygnet Point and quietly ghost the three nautical miles up Port Cygnet in a dying westerly breeze. As we retrieved our boats at the launching ramp the water was as still as a mill pond and the autumn sun quitehot.
Screenshot_20230106_162456_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
David M. Harvey
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Peter T

Re: Old article about Sail - La - Vie (Spindrift) #114

Post by Peter T »

Here is another article on #114.

D’Entrecasteaux Channel -March 1985.

About 12.30 am I was suddenly awake. Something was different with the movement of the boat and the sounds. Looking out the cabin window, I couldn’t see the lights on the ends of the beach, so I slid back the cabin hatch for a better view. The beach lights were no-where to be seen. Then it dawned on me, we had dragged the anchor and had drifted about a nautical mile out into North West Bay. I woke Janet and she quickly came on deck.

The night was beautifully clear, the stars shone brightly, and we could clearly see the lights at South Arm on the Eastern Shore of the Derwent River. The southerly wind although still blowing, had moderated considerably. Pleased that we had not hit anything we hauled up the anchor and quietly motored back to our position at Cunningham Beach. This time, although both wind and water were calm, we laid out both anchors and went back to sleep.

Day two of our cruise dawned fine. After breakfast we quietly sailed across to the Duckpond on Bruny Island, there to enjoy a leisurely day drying everything off andrelaxing.

Day three also dawned fine. After cleaning up we sailed back across the Channel and south to Kettering in a light northerly breeze, there to buy fresh food supplies, and outboard motor fuel.
Screenshot_20230106_164822_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
The Duck Pond

Screenshot_20230106_165031_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Kettering

Leaving Kettering, we motored out of Little Oyster Bay, and hoisting sails set off for the eleven or so nautical miles south down the Channel, running before a pleasant northerly breeze of about 10 to 15 knots. As we proceeded the northerly breeze gradually died, and by the time we were off Gordon another southerly was starting to come in, so we changed headsails to the much smaller storm jib. On rounding Ninepin Point we were very glad we had taken that precaution. The southerly increased to between 25 and 30 knots with the seas starting to build up. Sailing on a beam reach into the mouth of the Huon Estuary, we watched traffic travelling along the Channel Highway, until the highway was out of sight behind Garden Island. Rounding Egg and Bacon Reef, we sailed into Eggs and Bacon Bay and anchored close the shore in the south-eastern corner. This time we put out the two anchors and settled down as night was fastapproaching.
Screenshot_20230106_165345_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Once again in the middle of the night we awoke suddenly. Spindrift was pitching and rolling violently. The wind had swung around to the north-west blowing right into our corner. It was a case of “all hands­on deck” very quickly. First, we started the outboard and Janet stood by with the motor in neutral, while I weighed anchors, both of them. We were too close to the lee shore, and couldn’t afford to make a mistake. The moment the anchors were clear Janet put the motor into gear, and we moved across to the north-east corner of the bay which was now the sheltered corner. Carefully checking that the anchors were holding, we again settled down for what was left of the rest of the night.

Day three dawned cloudy. The gale was still blowing from the north-west, and with it rain showers. The morning news on the radio was that a fishing boat had been wrecked on The Friars south of Bruny Island. The crew had been rescued by helicopter. We had a lazy day. We sat on the boat and read, listened to the ABC on the portable radio, and went for a few walks around the bay, but by late afternoon the wind had swung back to south-west and Spindrift was starting to pitch and roll uncomfortably. It was time to move again.

Weighing anchors, we motored around Cygnet Point and into Port Cygnet. After checking Deep Bay on the eastern side, we moved across to Copper Alley Bay on the western side, there deciding that this would be a suitable anchorage for the night. The water was calm and although it was now raining heavily, we had a very comfortable night.
Screenshot_20230106_165612_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
In the morning of day four we were woken by the moo-ing of cows. We discovered we had anchored close to a dairy farm. The scene was more rural than nautical. Nevertheless, breakfast over, we once more started the outboard and motored north up Port Cygnet, anchoring off the local yacht club. The day’s weather was a mixture. Cloudy, sunny periods, and rain showers
Screenshot_20230106_165903_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Donning our wet weather gear, we rowed ashore, and carrying a jerry-can for outboard motor fuel, and plastic bags for fresh food supplies, we plodded up the road to the Cygnet town centre. I recall going to the public toilets. They were unlit and dark. I had a distinct feeling that the toilet was rocking. We visited a number of shops. The shop assistants were all quite curt. At the supermarket Janet saw fresh strawberries and asked “How much ?”, to which the shop assistant stated in an aggressive tone “they’re not for sale”.

The only polite person we struck was the sales attendant at the service station where we purchased fuel for the outboard. Plodding back, we thought what an un-friendly town !!!

Back opposite the yacht club there was a man mowing his lawns in the rain. I asked him if we could fill ourwater containers from the tap at the yacht club. The answer was “yes”.

We were about to do this when he walked across to us. He said “I saw you come in in the morning – I thought that our doctor has bought a new boat, until I saw you put your wet weather gear on.” He continued “The yacht clubs got a wood barbecue – you can use it if you like – my brother-in-law supplies the wood – the trouble is the hippies up in the hills come down at night and steal it”.

Then the penny dropped – the Cygnet towns-people had thought we were the hippies from up in the hills.

We didn’t use the yacht barbecue. Instead, we returned to Copper Alley Bay for the night, and the following day, in bright sunny weather had a pleasant sail in a 15 knot southerly breeze all the way back to the NorthWest Bay Marina. Janet trolled out the fishing line but we didn’t catch anything.

David M. Harvey
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks for posting that Peter. A great read . Loved the sub plot about the hippies. Peace, love and pinch your wood :lol: Its also a drift back to different times when such stories could only be distributed in a club news letter. Now, and it continues to amaze me, what we write here has worldwide readership. All at the touch of a button :shock: Bloody amazing.

If anyone else has any of these gems from the past, please post them. I’m sure they will be widely appreciated.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Ozzie. I really liked a couple of early photos of Spindrift #114 that David sent me as well. Perhaps the one with the Spinaker up might rate to be included in the Gallery ?
Spindrift-1982-a.jpg
Screenshot_20230106_164822_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Screenshot_20230106_165031_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Screenshot_20230108_215043_Messenger.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Peter,

good suggestion re photo. It's been added.

Just a reminder to everyone, if you have any pics that you would like in the gallery, add a post in an existing topic or start a new one.

Add pics as attachments and suggest they be added as Peter did. I can then download the pic and re-upload it to the gallery. You can include up to 20 pics per post.

Maximum image size is 1000 pixels x 1000 pixels. The closer to this size the better they will show. Max filesize per pic is 2mb.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

I thought that I would have a go at enhancing this picture a little with photoshop. The old colour photos seem to redden with age. When I enlarged the picture in Photoshop, I was delighted to see that the outboard was a Seagull. This was a common outboard in the sixties but very rare these days.
Attachments
Spindrift #114
Spindrift #114
Ray
Investigator #39
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ray, thanks for doing that. Yes it was a seagull which was later replaced by the original owner with a 8 HP 2 stroke Yamaha which was still on the boat when I purchased it. I have since replaced that with a Tohatsu Sail Pro, and here is a photo of the boat at the moment, now named " Sail - La - Vie"
20220307_114210.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

HI Ray, just found more photos of Minnow for you. See below.
Screenshot_20230113_223819_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230113_223830_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230113_223845_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230112_205516_Facebook.jpg
Attachments
Screenshot_20230112_205516_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230113_223857_Facebook.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

I think the same as Peter that Minnow is not a WA boat. Didn't the WA boats have a fixed front hatch, or have I got that wrong?

The boat has a lot of similarities to Timeless, #50. Rudder is exactly the same, cutouts to fit the taffrail and all. Same toerail too.

In the third pic, what's the bit of gear on the side of the mast, down near the foot?
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Geoff, when I read the for sale add, It said that there was a mast raising mechanism that comes with the boat and I reckon that's what you are referring to in the third picture. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114