Ronstan Gennaker furler

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Ronstan Gennaker furler

Post by Peter T »

Does anyone use a Ronstan Series 60 Gennaker Furler on their I563 ?
Would love to hear a report on them if you have. Thanks in advance. They use a continuous line so you would have a long loop going back to the cockpit. Pull it one way to furl, pull it back the other way to unfurl. They sound like they might be the go ?
Screenshot_20211010-173248_Chrome.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Ronstan Gennaker furler

Post by Ozzie »

I’ve only got the standard dinghy furler on Spritzig Peter but I’ve noticed a lot of online stuff about modifying them to greater capacity. Or people making pvc ones. I’ve pretty much switched to a downhaul now although I think the furler has a place.

With your considerable fabrication skills have you considered making one ? I think the foil itself can be bout as a replacement part ? The furler head would probably be an interesting project. Just a thought.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Ronstan Gennaker furler

Post by Peter T »

Yes thanks Ozzie, had given that some thought , with the Gennaker single line one, I was thinking to just fit the Genoa and only use the amount of sail that suits the conditions on the day. If it cuts up rough or too windy, just furl as much of it as you want. They have a continuous loop of line from the furler back to the cockpit, where it just loops around and back to the furler. So, you end up with what seems to be 2 ropes which would be actually only the one. Pull on one part to release sail and then pull the lazy part of the rope to furl it again and they don't seem that expensive. I reckon you would need to use one of those top swivel 's with a twisted wire loop attached to stop it interfering with the forestay. Would love to hear from anyone who has one or used one. It looks like a neat bit of kit and if it's reliable, would be happy to purchase rather than produce one myself. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."