Rolling boom reefing with vang

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Rolling boom reefing with vang

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, does anyone use the system pictured for reefing by rolling the main around the boom and still use a vang via the use of a reefing claw. Comments / ideas appreciated
Screenshot_20211008-001643_Google.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Rolling boom reefing with vang

Post by Ozzie »

I used to use the roller reefing a bit Peter but did not trust the locking mechanism on my roller boom. If you search the posts of Dr Peter he was a fan of it and, from memory, used the claw method. Roller reefing, though old was very popular and used extensively in the past.

I used builders concrete edging foam in the roll a few times to help bulk the sail out and thus lift the boom end but even a jumper will apparently help. I was always thinking foam glued to the boom might even save my noggin in a boom strike thus doing two jobs at once but I’ve since converted to slab reefing. Tell us what you decide on .
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Ozzie. My main concern was that if using a reefing claw, my thoughts are that it would want to tear itself into the rolled up main and eventually wear through it even though it has those two rollers. The full weight of the wind in the main would be transferred through those two rollers directly jamming the main against the boom at the rollers of the claw. I have always used slab reefing on my other boats but that also means more ropes back to the cockpit, especially if you don't want to go forward to the mast to reef.
I was impressed by the drawing in my post where a tensioned cord was used from the end of the boom to the reefing claw which would stop the claw working its way towards the mast by the use of tension on the vang.
Perhaps a good idea would be to use this set up for a vang using a reefing claw directly on the boom and then still use slab reefing separate to that.
This then could make the point where the vang meets the boom to be adjustable say for when the coach roof is raised etc. Usually a vang is mounted around 1/3 of the way along the length of the boom. All food for thought
Also, the vang could very well get in the way of folding the Bimini forward towards the mast. I haven't fitted my bimini yet but believe it folds forward so that the bulk of it sits in that gap between the mast and the coach roof and am not sure re interference with a vang set up
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Post by Greg »

Ozzie - my rolling mechanism was playing up a few years ago. I drilled the rivets out and pulled the whole end off. You’ll find a dirty big spring in there and not much else other than muck and corrosion. Clean it up and cover it in grease she will be good as new. I’ve got some pictures buried in my Facebook page somewhere but it’s not rocket science.
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/