Rose bay to Watsons bay

Stories and pics of Investigators on the water - and getting there.
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Rose bay to Watsons bay

Post by Watto »

Launched from rose bay.

Rigged in the staging area and brushed a few trees on the way to the ramp.

Don’t think Wollahra council will fix.

Sailed to Watson’s bay, beached and got some fish and chips from Doyle’s for lunch.

Decided to de mast on the wharf. A few lessons learned. But a good day out within the 10km restrictions
Attachments
0254B2DE-3AB3-4506-9F33-660522A0C730.jpeg
6239765B-6B8A-48A2-AC64-EF7CC0CF98B0.jpeg
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Rose bay to Watsons bay

Post by Peter T »

Hi Luke, boat looks great mate. Must be wonderful to have her on the water. It's been way too cold down here to do anything to mine. So, your repair around the mast step worked out ok then ? That's fantastic.
I might be mistaken, but Looking at the last photo, it looks like you have a dagger type rudder ? If this is correct, could you please take some photos of it from a few different angles so I can have a look at it as I intend in doing the same and any ideas I can pick up on will be most helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Watto

Post by Watto »

Cheers peter. Yes the repair went well. It needs a lick of paint but I like the see the battle scars too.

It’s good to get out. Been banned from boating while the mrs moved out of her house into my place. With the current restrictions I can only sail sydney harbour middle harbour to Drummoyne, not bad considering others 10km doesn’t get them to any water let alone out on it.

Have definitely been meaning to send you some pics and dimensions of the rudder. It’ll be on my list.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Watto

Post by Watto »

Also worth noting, Malcomb Turnbull walked past with his wife while I was minding the boat and nodded at me and said nice “nice little yacht”.

There was an embarrassing moment though as we left the outboard died and we drifted back in resulting in a second beaching. I discovered the kill switch lanyard had become tangled and dislodged as I was switching from reverse to forward on the 2hp Honda. It has no gears(centrifugal clutch) so you need to turn 180 degrees for forward and reverse.

Always another lesson to learn each trip I take.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

All good Luke. Like everything mate. If you have a day where you learn something, then it's been a great day. Good on you, I am a bit green with envy re you beating me to the water, but my time will come. Enjoy the boat mate. And Malcolmb was right. !
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Good stuff mate. I’ve been on the harbour quite a few times but only on other peoples boats and cruise ships going in and out, but it’s certainly a an interesting place. How do you find the traffic . Lots of everything going everywhere. How does the Honda perform on the 563? That was my next choice if I hadn’t found the Johnson 4.

As Peter said the days your learn something are always more memorable. If a day goes perfectly it just blends in with the other perfect days. Although disaster days, and I’ve had a few, are better forgotten :shock:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Watto

Post by Watto »

Ozzie,

I like the little Honda. It’s been very reliable barring the kill switch incident. Starts easily and is nice and light to carry around and also to raise and lower and prop up. Down side is it doesn’t have gears although it does have a centrifugal clutch. Pushes the boat up to 5 knots or a more comfortable 4 knots with much less throttle.

Being air cooled it is a little noisey but no worse than a two stroke.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82