Mast configuration

Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Mast configuration

Post by Watto »

Just wondering about rake settings for the mast.

Have done a search and correct me if I’m wrong but it seems the correct rake for an investigator is 0.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Mast configuration

Post by Ozzie »

Luke I’m no sure but possibly try the Morton Bay Investigator stuff on the Bob Crawford site.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Watto

Post by Watto »

Cheers Ozzie, I’d forgotten about that resource of information.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

No worries mate. If you get the info I’d be interested to know the ins and outs of it all. I set my mast vertical after cranking the trailer till the waterline is level. I’ve wondered though how accurate this is really given the waterline is set from whatever trim the boat was on at the time. Given how much weight can alter trim.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Post by Greg »

I’ve played around with my rig a bit recently and found a small amount of rake to aft has balanced the helm upwind (with an amount of back stay pulled on) and goes a lot faster. We were in a pretty serious line of wind probably 15knts + with no reef and I was easily steering the boat through the lifts with my pinky finger. However my boat doesn’t have the standard rudder, mine is a longer daggerboard which definitely plays into the balance of the boat.

Either way don’t be scared to play around with it, you can always change it back if you get it wrong.
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
Watto

Post by Watto »

Thanks Greg, I too have a long dagger board style rider.

My theory is I’ve been putting forward rake onto the rig and next time out I’ll be playing around with it.

Just waiting for work to settle down or stop and I’m planning a week long stay.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Greg, great info regarding the balance of your boat. I would presume that your speed increase is due to you using more backstay tension which would be pulling some bend backwards of the mast which in fact is actually giving you more shape (more belly) in your main and so giving the sail more power. ( Opposite to flattening the sail).
I was wondering if you could you do me a favour ? I would like to know the dimensions of your rudder. I presume it is parallel for all of its length? Could you please give me its width and overall length as well as the length of it below the hull when its in its position, measured from the point at the bottom of the stern to the bottom of the rudder. I understand that it's adjustable. So the range would be very handy to know.
Also could you tell me the thickness of the rudder, is it one piece of ply or laminated? Thanks.
Also, that timber frame mounted to your pushpit that goes above the rudder, does that have any function to do with the rudder or is it just for mounting the mast on when trailering ?
Thanks very much, regards Peter. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."