Outboard information

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Outboard information

Post by Andrew »

Sounds like you need a small (eg 4hp) , 2nd hand and light outboard Ozzie, (perhaps with some creative painting and a good lock/chain)

Like your outboard davit idea, to lift ob off the bracket on the water and into the dinghy.

About my 6 hp Tohatsu sailpro ULS has been above my expectations for cruising in sometimes quite rough conditions. Its so quiet, clean, and economical/long range. It's weight is still manageable for me at 28 kg's (down from 37kgs for the old 10hp 2 stroke) the horsepower is easily enough for any conditions, the sailboat designed prop has really high thrust at low engine and prop revolutions. I was worried about running it while heeling over, so just try to heel it less than before, about 10 degrees heel, and the motor still seems fine (red oil warning light stayed off)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

You were right Andrew. I eschewed Mariner 4hp as they were only a detuned 5hp and weight was the same. I may have however solved my outboard problem. To reiterate, my 5 hp Mariner was no longer compatible with my decrepit spine even with the mods I did with cutting our the taffrail centre and doubling the width of the OB mount board. I figure I’m on the verge of what my chiropractor refers to as “the final adjustment” after which no sailing will be done.

The most obvious replacement was the 2.3 hp Honda 4 stroke that both Ian and Dr Peter have used at times. The only problem is that these were a low volume import and are non-existent secondhand and an expensive experiment new. I spoke to a bloke who was selling the short shaft version off his tender on gummy and he put me right off altogether with tales of woe about the grief he had with a 6 hp on his 22 foot sailboat in headwinds and strong currents. He traded up to a Honda 9.9. Lake Macquarie can be an unpleasant place in similar conditions.

Out of the blue last week in a few suburbs away a guy advertises A long shaft Johnson 4hp twin. I know b#gger all about Johnsons so I did some research and they got a fairly good rap online. Apparently they were the first small twin 2stroke released in Australia at the time and only weigh 16 Kg which is five lighter than my Mariner.

I went round to check it out and it started first pull from cold and was pretty clearly in good nick so must’ve had fairly low hours. I am not going to run it properly even in a bucket until I’ve had my mechanoid check it over and do a full service as the seller said had it had been standing for a year and would not guarantee the water pump impeller. I shall report on its efficacy at some later date.
Grizzlegutz guards new donk
Grizzlegutz guards new donk
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Hey Ozzie,

I have the same 5hp 2 stroke Mariner you do. Mine is about a 1974 model, it should be wearing flares. (the pants, not the rescue devices)

I went to buy a Johnson 4hp 2 stroke a couple of months ago. Assured it was a long shaft, only $200 and never been in salt water, only in lakes. Yahoo sez I. When I got there it was a shorty. :(

I still bought it, for a mate who was fitting up a tender for his big powerboat cruiser. He was stoked. They seem to be very well liked by owners. Twin cylinder, so less vibration, and if one plug fails you can get around on limp mode.

Out here in the provinces longshaft are like rocking horse poo. In Qld, doubly so in 4hp, as that is the max you can have without needing to register your boat.

But, a couple of weeks ago I saw a longshaft 4hp 4 stroke Mariner, 2001 model, which is a re-badged Merc, over at the coast, so I drove over and bagged it. One interesting thing I have read (gotta love forums) is that the 4,5, and 6 hp are the exact same engine. The only thing different is the carby. The different venturi size and jetting is what determines the power output.

The seller had just fitted a new carb, but I didn't know about the carb/power thing, so I don't know what is fitted. But if I need more power in the future, apparently I can fit a 6hp carb and yet still have a 4hp badged eggbeater.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Great Geoff. All my small motors have been merc/Mariner over the years and reliable as as old bicycles. Yeah the first thing I noted with the Johnson was the lack of vibration with the twin even though the seller only ran it for a few seconds. Your OB should be a fairly simple upgrade I think as there would be lots of second hand clapped out donks around and the carbies would be fine.

I was going to add that 5kg less in one lump makes a hell of a difference. Whoda thunk it ?
Viva la Gumtree ;)
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Geoff, that was the same with my old Johno I bought it new as a 6 horse and the 8 was exactly the same . The 6 was detuned by adding a block between the carb and engine. Took that out and re jetted it and it was a 8 hp. Only problem with it was that some so and so thought they had more right to it than I did . Had only been used in fresh water and although old in years, it had only done about 8 hrs work. Still not happy about it. They caught the thief, sent him to goal for 6 months and I put in a claim to the courts and got absolutely nothing. So there is the law system for you
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Good to learn about the Johnson 4, its light weight and smooth running. Your one looks good Ozzie. Hope to hear more about it after it's checked over. Any info towards extending our sailing lifespans is always a good thing! :-)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Yes Peter, the difference between a legal system and a justice system. ☹️
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Just an upgrade on this thread. I’m still waiting to get my 4 hp back. Unfortunately my mechanic who I’ve been using for two decades is unwell and basically retired. As an old customer he is fitting me in and is part way through, working when he can. This is bad news as I have tried other mechanics in the area on occasions and been less than impressed.

I had considered it was about time I learned how to do a service myself but when I mentioned that to him he said the twin is not a good motor to learn on. Apparently the gearbox mechanism is a pain to refit after I guess the impeller change. Anyway I’m confident he will have it in top nick after he’s finished this service so guess I’ll have to look after it and maybe locate an old clapped one to practice on.. also for parts.

How many members do there own services. I used to service and tune my own cars but that was back in the dark past.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Ozzie. I do my own maintenance on outboards bikes and cars courtesy of Youtube. I have to do a few comparison searches to get the general drift before starting. If a dummy like me can do it then anybody can. As a pensioner It saves me heaps.
So Youtube has its positive side not just whacko conspiracy theories. (Although admit to being hooked on UFO stories. Hmmm I might watch how to reverse engineer captured UFO’s) 🛸🛸 👽

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ec_7_CntB0k
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks for link Emrys. I dug around in my garage and found my original points file/gauge set I’ve had since I was 17. Along with my timing light and other gear they have not been used much since my EA Falcon days, throttle body injection was the end of my tuning days other than the lawnmower!

The replacement of the lower unit after changing the impeller seems to be something I’ve heard people mention as a problem on outboards, as mentioned by my mechanic. I’m assuming my 5 merc will be simpler than the Johnson twin so I may practice on that. I do find YouTube very useful for a lot of stuff. Last year I learned how to successfully cut glass. So worth a go I guess.

When I got the 140 Hp donk on my old cruiser serviced years ago I always used a mobile mechanic service because of the size of the boat. Main thing I observed was he needed to use a lot of gas torch to get seized bolts out.

He also did UFO’s but used a laser on them :shock:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)