Lifting Frame

no way

Re: Lifting Frame

Post by no way »

Those stands are similar to "Brownell Boat Stands" which are used all over the world in boat yards BUT they balance the boat not take the full weight - the weight needs to be on the keel/centreline. If you were confident that the pads spread the load on to some strong area of the boat then you would at least securely link them at the base so they can't spread
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

no way wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:39 pm Those stands are similar to "Brownell Boat Stands" which are used all over the world in boat yards BUT they balance the boat not take the full weight - the weight needs to be on the keel/centreline. If you were confident that the pads spread the load on to some strong area of the boat then you would at least securely link them at the base so they can't spread
Totally agree "no way", on my I563 i always put car stands/ or hefty wood blocks under each end of the keel to take all the weight. Side supports are just for preventing tipping over. (would never do it as they show in the TSCQ photo. Full weight on the bilges might damage the hull or worse..)
That being said, i've never had Teria's keel base more than 50-60 cm above ground level, not as high as Peters lifting frame can achieve. I think Peters system is the best one for safely working on the under hull and keel, straps can be moved a little to get full access to everything. As Peter mentioned, stands/jacks or some blocks could be an additional safety layer to the straps/frame
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hello Andrew, did you get my private message I sent you? Do you know the diameter and thickness of the centreboard pivot bolt washers and bush ?

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Hope the pivot bushing all good. Thanks for the info on the lift frame posted here, gotta be the best prototype.

Also the discussion on trailer balancing/ball weight. I'm reajusting Terias new trailer axles position.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Andrew, I have found the lifting frame really useful. Best thing about it is the ease of getting the boat up in the air as well as the fact that when I have finished using it, undo 8 bolts and it can be removed and stored out of the way up against the back wall of the shed and reinstalled at any time. It has been well worth the money I spent on building it. Also, with the boat lifted up, I was able to take it out of the lifting slings and have the boat sitting up in the air on two jack stands and supported by the side pads from each upright of the frame creating a very sturdy set up enabling worry free entry into and exiting the boat in the raised position for working inside the boat. Its as good as having your own slip at a boat yard.
As for the bush and pivot bolt and the re making of the pivot bolt holes in the centreboard case, that has worked out extremely well, although it has not been fully tested in the water as yet but as I also fitted a couple of side thrust nylon blocks low at the front on each side of the centreboard case which were tapered to allow easy entry of the centreboard, these take up a lot of side thrust of the centreboard and very much lessens the thrusting stress on the pivot bolt holes. When I re fibreglassed them, I used double bias stitched woven roving with epoxy resin which has made it extremely strong, so I do not envisage any problems there.
All the best with your re balancing of your boat on the trailer, hope it works out well for you. Cheers
Regards Peter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."