Lifting Frame

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Lifting Frame

Post by Peter T »

Oh ok, thanks Geoff. I guess that when launching, the boat ramp is on the slope and not on the level. Would make a difference I guess
Peter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Hi David,

The tilt function isn't there to get the boat moving. As you say, on a steep slope it will start anyway, so tilt trailer or not is irrelevant for that aspect. Whether it starts by itself is usually more a function of how free or stuck the rollers are. Very little effort required to get mine moving, a tiny nudge to overcome inertia.

I assume, and from what I have read, the reason for the tilt function is to be able to launch in less than ideal situations, where the boat can't be floated off easy, to avoid a pivoting action over the rear roller. Same when winching back on.

In situations where the ramp slope is ideal and the water deep enough to float the boat off, it probably doesn't matter.

I have launched with and without tilt and seems little different on the couple of ramps I have used, but I can see it could make a difference in different circumstances. I do like it when winching back on.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi David. I will have everything I can to make it easy. My thought is that the tilt will be brilliant, but I am still going to make a fold out draw bar extension. I kept a length of 65 x 65 for that purpose but it is 5 mm thick and very heavy. I reckon on buying another thinner piece, hinge it on the existing draw bar as far back as I can, have it the length that takes it back to the angle of the frame and fit a plate from under the frame with a tow ball on it to terminate the extension. When it is hinged around and in to place it will lay along side of existing draw bar but protruding further forward and so lengthening it. It will have a top and bottom plate attached to near the front of the original draw bar with a hole drilled through so a lock pin can be slipped in to retain it. Even with that, still no reason not to use the tilt, although may not need to. I just never want my car in the water
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Yeah And it won’t be there for registration weigh in, ha Ha
But your right of course mate it is bloody heavy.
Cheers
Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Yes exactly . “ No officer, your scales must be wrong,” Ha Ha
Peter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Nice job on the lifting frame and slings Peter. Sorry missed this thread, as went bush awhile. The lift system looks very strong, Better to be on the safe side like you've done.

Going to the professional lifting suppliers is definitely the way to go. Construction rated gear a must.

In another life long ago, i got a dogmans ticket and worked on heavy construction cranes slinging loads up for awhile. Its a little hazy in the mists of time so to speak, so if anyone else out there wants to try similar it would be best to talk to someone currently in the lifting industry rather than old me. The companies i worked for supplied us good gear and engineer/ crane drivers etc were around to check safety etc.

Few have ever attempted to create a lift frame system for us TSers before. Sure it will be inspiration for many, and thanks again.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Andrew, yes you are quite right, better to over kill rather than have it fail. I first purchased a pair of tie down straps rated to 3500kg however these are DEFINITELY NOT SUITABLE for lifting. I went to a company called Tas Lifting and purchased the lifting straps heavy duty shackles and chain so everyone needs to be warned not to mistake tie down loads with lifting loads. I am in Launceston at the moment and will post photos of all that gear when I get back home later today. I would hate for anyone to get this wrong and the consequences could be catastrophic as you could imagine. The correct lifting equipment is not too expensive. It’s just not worth the risk of not doing it correctly. This lifting frame is the best thing since sliced bread and have already had the boat in it well off the ground a couple of times and it’s easy to do
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi All, very important, please see photos attached of what to and not to use for lifting boats
These are readily available but under no circumstances should you use this type of ratchet tie down for lifting as it WILL FAIL
D3839171-7B06-44E5-BAC9-AFE5484E0387.jpeg
Below is the correct type of sling for lifting, note that this is not a ratchet strap but they can be purchased in whatever length you desire and do not cost a fortune so there is no excuse, DO NOT USE RATCHET STRAPS FOR LIFTING
22451C69-6524-4697-AAA8-A0E5759045AB.jpeg
I ended up using the ratchet straps to go around front of the front lifting strap and back of the back one on each side of the keel to stop the lifting straps from spreading fore and aft on the bottom of the keel
Also note, these straps are rated at 3000kg and they have three rows of stitching in them. This is for easy identification of the lifting rate of the straps. What they do is, the more KG rating, the wider the straps and so they add another row of stitching per 1000 kg that they are rated. So, if you see a wide strap that has 5 rows of stitching, you know that it is rated to 5000 KG. They are all the same thickness, just wider for more weight. They are individually tested at double the weight that they are rated to and they are certified and guaranteed to lift their rated weight and they are not expensive.
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the update and safety post,

Came across this post on TSCQ, he has boat stands.. perhaps another layer of safe gear for under hull work.? (the stands are available for loan to TSCQ members.)
Attachments
Screenshot_20210104-103631_Samsung Internet.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Andrew, Yes I saw this myself. I reckon these could be very easily made for anyone not living in Qld. Not sure if I would trust them on their own but as you say, a very good supplement to another lifting system.

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114