Lifting Frame

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Lifting Frame

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, as my next part of the project is to get the boat suspended in the air, I have now started construction of the lifting frame. Nothing turns out easy, but work around 's can always be found. Here are a few pic's to show you what I am doing at the moment.
First I made the base of the upright posts to enable them to be dyna screwed to the garage floor. The posts are 90 x 90 x 3.2 mm and the welded on brackets are made from 50 mm x 5 mm
LF 1.JPG
Then I made the top section including the hangers. The bar of the hanger is 20mm round bar and the sides are 50 x4 mm
LF 2.JPG
This was all going swimmingly until I tried to fit the ratchet end of the strap, only to find there was not quite enough clearance between the round bar and the post to have the hooks sitting correctly on the bar ( Bugger) Also made the bracket and welded it on to the post to be able to bolt on the top cross piece which has nuts welded to each face to be able to bolt it on all four faces. the top bar will also be 90 x 90 x 3.2 and will have diagonal braces bolted.
LF 3.JPG
I found that if I undid the bolt that held the ratchet to the webbing, that I was then able to slip the webbing down through the gap between to round bar and the post enabling the bar locks to sit the correct way around as well as have the ratchet facing the right way
LF 4.JPG
Now I have one post finished, just three more to go and then assembly. Bolts will be welded to the outside top and bottom of the posts so that diagonal steel bracing can be fitted as well
More photos to come
The beauty of this system is that I will be able to park the boat on its trailer between the posts. I will probably leave the two nearest the wall of the shed there and dismantle the other two and store them. Anyone in Tas who will need the services of the lifting frame will in future be able to bring their boat to my place and use the frame as required

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Peter T

Re: Lifting Frame

Post by Peter T »

Thanks David, well mate the offer is there. It's only a trip on the spirit cause I reckon it's a bit far to sail here although it could be done by island hopping with no problems so long as you sail by the weather and not by the clock. And if they do come, I have a 25 ft caravan in the shed so accomodation wouldn't be a problem either.
Cheers.

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Good job Peter
Together with some other I563 owners I know, all have a permanently stuck centre board and thought of doing this but relegated to the too hard basket. I have a boat -friendly eng company nearby with an overhead crane and lifting straps but expensive fix. Sailing from Wollongong to Tasmania another option 🤮
Thanks and post your results.
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Topaz Bill
Investigator Boat Name: Secret Chord

Post by Topaz Bill »

I'm thinking about it David.😄
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Kind offer David
Do you know of any hotels I could quarantine in? 🗝😫
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
no way

Post by no way »

In the early 60's My late father and I had to lift a hull high enough to slide a new cast iron keel under it (about 31/2 feet then) . Then lower the hull into position to bolt the keel on. We used 4 Acrow props suitably braced and with a ring frame around the top of the 4 props - straps under the hull attached to tops of opposite props then just wound the jacks up - the screws are very precise and no rush. Nice and easy and if you don't want to buy props just hire them or chat up your local formworker.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

A fine engineering work or art Peter, well planned and executed.

Note that like Geoff and myself once were, you’re still currently an aero modeller. Some nice looking craft on the wall of your workshop. I flew control line half a century ago but still have one 6’ wing span box job with an Enya .35 drying out somewhere up in the roof cavity. Thought I might get back into it after I left the band but too many boating toys and I think my internal gyro is too shot to turn around in a circle 200 times any more. Funny when I was young many aero modellers were also boaties. Must go with the skill set.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, I have just finished the lifting frame, so here are a few pic's to show you all what I have done
LF5.JPG
LF6.JPG
LF7.JPG
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi David, thanks mate. Still feel a bit nervous about slinging the two straps under the boat. Hope they are strong enough. They are rated to 2500kg each, so I can’t imagine that the boat will break them as it weighs no where near 5 ton. Just need to tension them both heavily before lowering the trailer I guess.
Once the trailer is removed, I have jacks to put in to support the keel, it’s just the thought of having it hanging there free while the trailer is removed that bothers me. It is amazing how sturdy the whole thing turned out to be. It’s not in the way, so I reckon I will just leave it there and park the boat and trailer in under the frame. It has plenty of side clearance.

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Mate it’s dead flat, I would just unhook trailer and push it in.
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114