Hi everyone

General Sailing Talk
Nautius

Hi everyone

Post by Nautius »

I've just registered as a user and would like to introduce myself. I'm Elaine, and with my partner Sharon we are the proud owners of TS Nautius, sail no. 141. Poor Nautius was sitting for four years on her trailer on the road in front of our house in the northern suburbs of Brisbane waiting for me to find time to fix up the relatively minor things that needed fixing. We're back on the water and finding our sea legs again. I bought Nautius about 10 years ago when she was called "Escape".

I've yet to read through all the blogs on the site, but was particularly interested to read about the various mast raising techniques.

Elaine
Yara50

Re: Hi everyone

Post by Yara50 »

Welcome Elaine. We have a strong contingent in Brisbane and I am sure they will be delighted to catch up with you on the water.

As I am currently in the middle of trailer tyre woes, (luckily not the boat trailer), I will mention that for an Investigator 563 on a single axle trailer, you will need about 60 psi pressure in the tyres. Also, if they are more than 6 years old, most tyre manufacturers recommend replacement, even if the tread is good.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Elaine and Sharon,

A huge, warm welcome from the Brisbane Investigators. Well, Robert here, but knowing the others, I'm sure they feel the same.

I'm in Morningside. Hope we'll see you on the water, but most of all, hope we'll do some companion sailing in the near future.

Ian, 60psi !! No wonder my tyres look a tad flat.

Cheers, Robert
BobK

Post by BobK »

Elaine and Sharon,

Good to have you on board. Margaret and I are in Hendra. Let us know if we can help you with anything.
Bob
Margarita #32
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Robert- re tyre pressure:
The load per tyre is circa 600 kg. On the side wall of the tyre it will tell you what pressure you need for that load. (About 1300 lb in oldspeak). If there is no info, the tyre is probably too old anyway.
Ian B
Nautius

Post by Nautius »

Wow, what a fabulous response! Thanks everyone.

I've been putting 40 psi in my trailer tyres and thinking they still look rather flat. I think both tyres now are over 6 years old so maybe replacements are in order. I have light truck tyres, is that what everyone else uses?

Elaine
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Welcome Elaine and Sharon,

Yep light truck are the go. They have (I think) 5 ply sidewalls which help support heavier loads. Sometimes designated "Van" tires. Hope you enjoy the forum. Mast raising seems to be the largest topic on most TS forums. If you can invent a new idea for doing it you will have a captive audience :D

Cheers
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Nautius

Tyres

Post by Nautius »

Oh dear, I should have done what I said I would and buy new tyres. We had a blow out on the off ramp from Ipswich motorway onto Centenary Highway. Now we're sporting two new tyres thanks to the incredibly helpfull people at Goodyear at Sumner Park. I recommend them highly as they wen't out of their way to be helpful.

As soon as I have a new radio and install a mast head light we'll be out in the bay and we'll catch up with some of you.

Elaine
Nautius wrote:Wow, what a fabulous response! Thanks everyone.

I've been putting 40 psi in my trailer tyres and thinking they still look rather flat. I think both tyres now are over 6 years old so maybe replacements are in order. I have light truck tyres, is that what everyone else uses?

Elaine
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Hi Elaine
Sorry to hear about the tyres, but at least no harm was done. Might also be a good idea to check your rigging U bolts- see new post in Technical section.
Ian B
Nautius

Post by Nautius »

Thanks for the advice Ian. I had the boat surveyed (insurance requirement) 2 years ago after I replaced all the rigging and we've only been out three times since; all occasions on Wivenhoe. She got a seal of approval and special attention was made to the chain plates. I seem to be short of both time and money at the moment to get us out into the bay. It WILL happen. :|