Stoves

General Sailing Talk
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Stoves

Post by Andrew »

"The thread drifters", (a good band name) people won't see the stoves for the songs, :D

started a new thread
"Music and sound systems afloat" its right next to this one. cheers
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Just spotted a couple of 2nd hand marine stoves for sale in Brisbane on Gumtree. "Origo 3000 - 2 burner methylated spirits asking $250, good value. Might be too big for an Investigator but it would suit a cruising yacht, they are hard to find these days

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lota/bo ... 1271414832
Attachments
origo 3000 control
origo 3000 control
Origo 3000 burners
Origo 3000 burners
Origo 3000
Origo 3000
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I had a twin metho maxi for while but it was always in the way. Eventually found a single. I find if you carry a thermos and keep hot water in that you can get by with one burner. Eg. After cooking, heat water and bung it in your thermos. Later, if you want a cuppa your ready, or it’s hot enough to reheat very quickly. I think if the burner goes on my single maxi I will replace it with a trangia style centre as this thread suggests.

This from the news is a timely reminder about the unfortunate possibilities on boats for disaster. It is not known the cause yet and probably will have an electrical component but it’s a tragedy and a warning.

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-ac ... dc8ad6666b
AB898937-BE64-4623-991F-A83ABB4CF30F.jpeg
Photo from news.com.au
Picture: Greg Manning.Source:Facebook
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Wow that was a devastating boat explosion Ozzie, (will we ever know what caused it? Either gas or petrol vapours in the bilges i bet)

I had a Maxie 2 burner on my yacht (1988) and cooked on it for about 6 months afloat. I liked it, easy to start (once the procedure was sussed) and burnt with a nice blue flame. The only niggle i noticed was it cost a more than i first thought to keep it fuelled up, but that wouldn't be an issue on Investigators with short trip times. The other was flare ups if it wasn't started correctly..it was placed so nothing above it could ignite. Sure wish they still produced them, and Origos. This type of stove is a dying breed, but parts are still available via the net.

Just contacted Stefano at Bonetti campers and put an order in for a "CAN-2001" single burner alcohol stove, made in Italy, they're now an eye watering $280 plus freight. He's the only one in Australia with anything comparable to an "Origo 1500" (and they're like rare cars on the 2nd hand market, often selling for more than new price) The CAN2001's output is 2kw, similar to an origo and it can be adjusted to simmer with a lever control (not sure what a trangia burners output is). It will sit very low and stable, won't flare or explode, and the fuel can't spill. Thought i better get one in-case production ever stops (by Covid19 or economics?). It will be safe to operate inside the cabin, fitted in a galley box or slide out galley.
Attachments
2kw output, same as Origo 1500
2kw output, same as Origo 1500
Last edited by Andrew on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Manango
Investigator Boat Name: RIPPLE

Post by Manango »

Have not commented to date on this post, but just felt a need to put it out there. The dual fuel Coleman stove. I have both a single burner and twin burner unit - the one I will be using onboard. FYI https://www.snowys.com.au/2-burner-dual ... ouse-stove. I would be interested to get peoples comments. I have been using the single burner for years and love it. Sure it takes a bit of getting used to, but I had a twin burner gimballed kero sove on my previous yacht and it was great. Definately safer than any form of gas cooker, hotter than metho, and you can see the flame, so likely hood of getting into trouble minimised. Just for added safety, I plan on only using it in the cockpit. on the rails.
Rick Huntley

Project Boat "RIPPLE" under modification - Tow vehicle Ford Wagon or if the boss lets me a Subaru Forester Nanango QLD (approx 200Km NNW of Brissie)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Manango wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:50 am Have not commented to date on this post, but just felt a need to put it out there. The dual fuel Coleman stove. I have both a single burner and twin burner unit - the one I will be using onboard. FYI https://www.snowys.com.au/2-burner-dual ... ouse-stove. I would be interested to get peoples comments. I have been using the single burner for years and love it. Sure it takes a bit of getting used to, but I had a twin burner gimballed kero sove on my previous yacht and it was great. Definately safer than any form of gas cooker, hotter than metho, and you can see the flame, so likely hood of getting into trouble minimised. Just for added safety, I plan on only using it in the cockpit. on the rails.
Hi Rick,

Id like to get a Coleman guide sportster 533 single burner, but just for outdoor camping roadtrips only. They are robust, burn hot, simmer and fuel"s easier to get anywhere (but current plan is to not use it afloat).

Have seen some gas stoves on TS are rail mounted aft with the gas bottle on deck, tied to pulshpit. A coleman out on a rail opposite the petrol locker would have to be the best position for one. I'd have the extinguisher sitting next to you and crew away though.

Have used those old Primus pressure kero stoves long ago. with alcohol in the starter cup to preheat the vapour generator tube. Remembered they were considered fairly safe for cruising yachts then and used before gas became popular. But they are museum pieces now, were a bit fiddly and alcohol primer spills and fires the main hazard.
Last edited by Andrew on Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Manango wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:50 am Have not commented to date on this post, but just felt a need to put it out there. The dual fuel Coleman stove. I have both a single burner and twin burner unit - the one I will be using onboard.
Rick is this the single burner you use? Im waiting on some to arrive here.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210409-161943_Samsung Internet.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Manango
Investigator Boat Name: RIPPLE

Post by Manango »

That's the one Andrew.
Images attached of the single burner, the cover / housing for the single burner, and the twin burner. I loved the single burner unit so much I went looking for twin burner units. I ordered mine from Tentworld over 12 months ago and it eventually turned up a couple of weeks ago.
Rick
Attachments
IMG_20210409_193919_resize_15.jpg
IMG_20210409_193907_resize_42.jpg
IMG_20210409_193708_resize_28.jpg
Rick Huntley

Project Boat "RIPPLE" under modification - Tow vehicle Ford Wagon or if the boss lets me a Subaru Forester Nanango QLD (approx 200Km NNW of Brissie)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

They look like sound pieces of engineering that have had a very long development time. It would be nice to ditch bulky gas cylinders too. I'm starting to become a coleman fan, as they produce quality products that last.

(Eg bought a coleman thermos, it keeps liquid hot far longer than any others ive tried over the years. All my others packed up after a year or 2, suspect this will outlast them all)

Phoned tentworld, they have the 533's in online stock on discount. sold out in store up here in the sticks..perhaps easter had something to do with it,
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Hi gents . Interesting stuff and I’m always learning. What is the other fuel , I know it’s unleaded and Coleman fuel but is that just a refined petrol or more like kero?
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)