Stoves

General Sailing Talk
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Stoves

Post by Andrew »

this meths stove (similar to Origo1500) at Bonetti campers, Sunshine coast, $250 new

https://www.bonetticampers.com/accessor ... ner-stove/
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, I had gas on my last boat and it was fine. I used two smaller bottles for three reasons. 1 small bottles are light to carry for when you have to transfer them to a dinghy to have them refilled . 2 , two small bottles don't take up much room. 3 When I ran out of gas on one bottle which always happens when your meal is half cooked! I always had another bottle to swap over to. There are two MUSTS with gas. First, ALWAYS leave the stove going and turn off the gas at the bottle EVERY time you use it, then turn the stove off once the flame has gone out. Secondly, you MUST fit a gas detector with the sensor in the lowest part of the boat and test it every time you get on the boat. Also, it is necessary to vent the bottom of the compartment where your glass bottles are stored to the outside air. Remember that gas is heavier than air so it will always find the lowest point in the boat to go to. I did hear and see the results of a mate of mine who left his gas turned on in his boat. The boat was built of timber, it was an old 30 ft river launch moored in Launceston quite some years ago and it developed a leak. All was fine until one night at around 2 am, the water leaking into the boat was high enough for turn the float switch on to start the bilge pump. I don't have to tell you what happened. The gas system had leaked and the gas was left turned on, the boat was full of gas, then the bilge pump started we don't know if it was a spark from the float switch or from the bilge pump but the explosion was that bad that it could be heard from miles away and there was nothing left of the boat except a few pieces of the bottom planking. It woke me up and I lived more than 5 miles away. Take the precautions I have explained and you will never have any problems.

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Sad story Peter, I can remember the issue of bilge blowers coming up once on another forum and it was pointed out you need sparkless blowers ( not sure on their correct designation) otherwise they can set off the gas or petrol fumes your trying to expel :o hadn’t thought of bilge pumps causing the same disaster.

That stove looks pretty good David particularly since it has a proper grill. I use one of those wire collapsing ss things to do toast on the boat and the motor home and for decades before that in the kombi. They are the invention of the devil and the freaking toast looks like he made it. Nothing like a grill to increase your culinary options.

Small gas bottles are the go I had a small sausage shaped one as a backup in the kombi. They were Primus brand so only compatible with those stoves but I’m sure there would be an equivalent available for yours.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi David. I reckon a couple of 2, 3, or even 4 kg bottles would be ok. One 2 kg bottle would last quite a while so it wouldn’t matter. It’s more about how much space they take up on the boat. I would let that be the determining factor. As you will have 2 of them, you will never be without gas unless of course you forget to fill the empty one. I didn’t like transferring heavy bottles between the boat and the dinghy, so I went for two 3 or 4 kg bottles but smaller wouldn’t hurt. Also, you can fill your own small bottles from any larger one by holding the large one upside down. They say you shouldn’t, but I do it in the caravan all the time and have never had an issue with it. I have a specialty hose for that purpose, it’s got a hand held trigger on it, you can buy them on eBay, but never do it while on the boat. Always on dry land and out in the open as you need to vent the bottle being filled. The only difference between a filling bottle and an ordinary one is that the filling bottle has a tube going to the bottom of the bottle so that it only fills with liquid and not vaporised gas. That’s why upside down works
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Topaz Bill
Investigator Boat Name: Secret Chord

Post by Topaz Bill »

Thanks Franklin, yes a great forum. Dad said " money doesn't make you happy" I don't have any money so I'm very happy. I love the humour behind so many posts and the willingness to help each other.

Another freebie that I have available for any forum contributer is an original rudder that appears to be in very good condition. I use a hinged one as I often run aground (😥) and use a small timber dowel as a sheer pin ( humiliating, but I can't help it).

The only problem is transport, I live on the Tablelands above Cairns NQ, so have no idea about logistics of transport.

Regards, Bill
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Private Eyes wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:57 pm I cant say that I like the idea of the Bonetti units. I actually had not heard of them until now. It's just that I prefer to have the fuel source in an enclosed tank and not an open container, as in the actual burner itself. A bit dangerous if the boat unexpectedly tosses about at anchor and fuel leaks out.

So, I reckon I might have to go with a gas stove,
The bonetti has some kind of wool in the burner, so it can't spill out..(similar to origo, some good vids on its operation on utube ) .the burner could be refuelled outside in cockpit for safety. Its not pressurised which is safer too. Its very simple, that's good. Meths is a safe fuel on board.

Gas sounds quite complex for a small boat, sniffers etc could take up allot more space.and has the potential explosion factor...i like gas for camping but reticent to use on my boat.
Last edited by Andrew on Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Sounds ok David, gas is so convenient to operate and your idea of set up safe. It is also easy to find gear and parts, markets dominated by gas now.

Seems like the meths stove manufacturers go bust right left and center these days. Hardly any for sale on the net too..and getting parts for odd maxies etc could be challenging. The Bonettis are made in Italy, might contact them to learn more..
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Stoves !!! What are they for ? Gee, you blokes are way ahead of me, if I want a hot cuppa or meal, I just go from the shed to the house, Ha Ha. One day I will get the boat sea worthy, and hopefully you blokes will have sorted out the stove issues for me by then. LOL

Cheers
Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

That’s the thing about great mates David. Good on you. Thanks. :lol: :lol: :D
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Topaz Bill
Investigator Boat Name: Secret Chord

Post by Topaz Bill »

I'm with you Peter. The simpler the better as far as I'm concerned. David may be a gourmet cook but I'm certainly not, and survive perfectly well with a single burner butane stove for a week at a time. I usually have to use stove inside cabin, even a small amount of wind makes them unusable in cockpit. Washing up and cleaning is always a pain in the sphincter. My little stove is easy to pack away in a plastic container before heading off.

David, I certainly don't disparage gourmet cooks, and will make sure to invite myself for a three course meal at Beauty Point when next I pass through 😂.

Regards, Bill