new car/boat port for 'Palamida'

General Sailing Talk
RobertB

new car/boat port for 'Palamida'

Post by RobertB »

Hi folks,

I bit the bullet and heading into Easter, contacted a builder to have a car/boat port constructed down the side of the house to cover the boat and protect it from the harsh Qld sun.

He came by and measured up and delivered a quote that we thought was ok and so gave the green light.

Well, that was almost 10 weeks ago.
Because the house is 11 metres long we had to get permission from the neighbours to build it. Apparently 9 metres is ok, but over that requires permission, and an extra fee ($600)to council, on top of the building fee.....Oh! and another ($300) for the structural approval for it to be higher than a normal car port (to take the height of the boat).
Extra for the fact that we couldn't have a car port, because we already had a garage....but got round that by calling it a boat port.

Then there's the builder who must be doing another job as well.......Oh, and he needs more money to buy more materials because he's spent it all....not on out job. So, to get the iron on the roof, I had to pay the supplier direct.

Anyway, it does look good, and when it is finished, I post a pic.

patience, tolerence and kindness go a long way some days.

Robert B

PS Really looking farward to crewing on my mates Phantom 33 when we sail it up to Mackay in late June.
Yara50

Re: new car/boat port for 'Palamida'

Post by Yara50 »

Robert
Good to see that you have your priorities aligned correctly and looking after Palamida. Did you check out the note on the Careel site about inviting us to their get-togethers?

http://www.careel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2593
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Careel18403

Post by Careel18403 »

It has happened before, don't see why it can't again .. especially with the Queenslanders .. but then, I hold no official position with the CCYA. Insurance and club membership might need to be looked at these days.
Our size and type boats are abviously right for Queensland so a lot seem to be heading up there.
IanL
Careel18/403
Clockwork (well, what else could you name an orange boat?)
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Ian,

I note that they refer to Herr trotter. I belive that I may have met this man at the boat ramp. He has a very pretty Careel 18 and he works as a teacher of german language.

Hmm, I think his name may be Peter.

He has posted in trailersailerplace under a Germanic login name.

It would be good to get together with the Careel folks.

Roofing Iron delivered today and builder coming tomorrow (Sat),so may have some cover soon.

Cheers, Robert
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Half your luck Robert
At this moment I am struggling with a very large tarpaulin flapping in the wind trying to cover my boat.
My better half has other priorities.
Emrys
'Current Affair'
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Hi Folks,

Well the roofing iron came, and the builder showed up at 8.30 Sat. wandered round looking for the roofing scews, asked me what I'd done with them.."I didn't see any scews!!" left to get some, came back at 10 and worked till 1pm. Then he left.

Hope he returns Monday as he said he would.

Cheers, Robert
RobertB

Post by RobertB »

Well....no builder today.

Guess I'll have to call him and find out what's happening.

He said he'd be here Monday! Why didn't he call to excuss himself?

Cheers, Robert