#90 Tikirri is back!

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: #90 Tikirri is back!

Post by Ozzie »

Our mooring is unfortunately rather close to shore in a populated area David so we may shock the neighbourhood :o .
Actually we got our beach tent off a council bulk waste throwout pile right next to the lane near our mooring some years ago. It was a top of the line one in mint condition apart from a zipper on the storage bag. I’m constantly staggered at what people buy and chuck out. Anyway I put it in the boat for use on the various islands we sometimes swim off on the lake and bugger me if on a whim I tried setting it up in the cockpit and it fits the boat perfectly width wise and under the boom. You can even slide it down and rig it over the companionway as a dodger of sorts for stationary use in rain. So we sometimes use it for a quick sunshade for lunch If I cannot be bothered setting up the boom tent.

I’ll throw in some pics....might start a trend..

Joke was I was quite impressed with the brand and design and thought I’d actually pay good money for one for our caravan...

...and found another identical one on the council throw out six months later.

I’m constantly staggered at what people buy and chuck out. But not complaining . 8-)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

This is 45 posts Ed . You have probably broken some kind of record here . We will arrange a Koala Stamp ;)

Not sure what you’re referring to in regards to vberth? Do you have a pic?
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hi David , I figured you were joking but it’s funny how many racing sailers on the lake practice the “overtheside siphon “during a race . Not so funny is the statistic that most male sailors who are found drowned after falling ob at sea have their fly open apparently. :shock: :shock: who compiles these stats :?: sheesh.

In regards to bilge pump I posted in Technical articles on Tuesday :)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1069

To others posting, if you have an info or tech article it’s best to put it in tech articles under a clear heading . Geoff has modified the search function in the new software which is making searching much easier, but sometimes good info can get lost in an unrelated article. Thread drifts are often fun, I do it myself and add they a lot to a forum but if we have great information for members it’s best practice to give it its own precise heading for future browsers. I always think of thread drifts like going into Whitworths to buy a few ss bolts and coming out with a new hat 🎩.....and three plastic bird scare owls.

I’ll add a few extra pics to my bilge pump post today.

Add on...thinking about your wood in v berth Ed . Is it floor to ceiling? May be a support to reinforce the front deck for heavy bowmen.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

A great thread under “General discussion” would be “my best find” on council throw out . :D
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Edsped
Investigator Boat Name: #90 Tikirri

Post by Edsped »

We’ll easily hit 100 posts if the social isolation continues :lol:

As for the wooden divider, here it is with one of the cushions removed.
Nobody can figure out what it’s for :shock:
Attachments
AF538971-50BD-4E73-9698-46D20E78C282.jpeg
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Thinking about your wooden accessory Ed. I think you’ve nailed it with your first guess. We took our daughters around Oz in a Kombi over two trips in the 90’s when they were little, cramped into a Kombi poptop roof bed. One trip was three months. Although they got on, I can imagine two kids , maybe boys having ww3 sharing a v berth overnight. Previous owner was obviously an inventor. ;)

However as an alternative. The wood infills in the front could also be used as a cockpit table according to Ian B if I recall. Any chance this fitting could connect to something to mount the wood elsewhere to use as a table. My only guess.

Maybe off the taffrail ( pushpit )
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

I think the wooden thing must just be a child divider lol. There is already a table setup that can go between the beds though.

Ok everyone, I’ve officially sailed Tikirri!! :D
I went on Sunday, it was awesome but the westerly was really really unpredictable in terms of speed and direction so it got a bit gnarly!
One second we were essentially becalmed and the literally within 2 minutes I was in some serious wind and chop as lake Illawarra is quite shallow. I ended up pulling the main down and motor sailing back to a calmer spot!

I went out today’s in an “ideal” NNE and it really was ideal! I had 2 reefs in the main as a precaution and the jib up too. It went awesomely and we managed just over 5 knots according to the newly installed plotter/ depth/ fish finder :D

I literally looked out on the lake on the way out thinking “Let’s just put the boat back in” haha!
Attachments
80EF362B-73AF-4AD1-B729-2BC4C055A931.png
C1745FCF-3466-44E4-95B1-E92A41A3C916.jpeg
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Sounds great Ed. It does become addictive. I still remember our first sail. Quiet day. Only intended to put the main up and just get the feel of it, maybe for 20 minutes. After 5 minutes we had the genny flying and didn’t come back for three hours. Enjoy 😊
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

Private Eyes wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:38 pm Well done Ed,

Looks great. :)

How did your trailer go, everything work okay for you.?
The trailer was fantastic, very easy to launch and retrieve and I haven’t even needed to tilt it!
Do you guys use some kind of grease or oil to protect spindles from rust? These ones are brand new galvanised ones and no grease or anything at the moment.
Edsped

Post by Edsped »

Ozzie wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:54 pm Sounds great Ed. It does become addictive. I still remember our first sail. Quiet day. Only intended to put the main up and just get the feel of it, maybe for 20 minutes. After 5 minutes we had the genny flying and didn’t come back for three hours. Enjoy 😊
I won’t be forgetting our first sail but for different reasons :lol:
I was just going to use the reefed main today but we put up the jib after an hour or so, It felt much better!

To be honest after our little scare on Sunday I’m a bit scared of using the Genoa and terrified of the spinnaker! :shock:

What kind of wind ranges would you recommend using the storm, job and Genoa guys?