Second Forestay

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Second Forestay

Post by Peter T »

Hi all.
Got the new Bow roller and Ronstan Series 60 Furler fitted. Also, I have replaced all the standard rigging which has included adding a set of lower side stays as well as a 2nd Forestay. This prevents the necessity to rely on the swivel of the furler to hold up the mast. Also makes it a lot easier to attach both forestays.
The furler is fantastically smooth to operate. Photo below shows the Genoa furled and there is around 120mm between the front forestay and the furled sail. Didn't even look like binding.
The 2nd Hound was mounted 413mm higher up the mast to get both forestays parallel. Using a 2 to 1 pulley system to tension the luff which is nicely taught. This just pulls a little tension off the front forestay and of course, the backstay plays a big part in all this as well. The process of attaching the forestays is, leavevthe back stay off or loose, attach the 2 to 1 pulley system from front of bow roller and the flying eye up the front stay, then it's real easy to attach both b the rear and then the front forestays and remove the 2 to 1 system that is then used to tension the luff of whichever headsail you use. Then tension the back stay.
The other advantage is that the anchor sits nicely on the bow roller ready for deployment without jagging around or hitting the hull while sailing.
20240508_122450.jpg
20240508_122203.jpg
20240508_121718.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."