Tides and currents

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Tides and currents

Post by Andrew »

Raya wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:10 pm I've found my Tide Clock to be most useful.
Set to the local boat ramp, it shows the state of the tide at a glance. No need to look up tables or jump on the internet.
There are plenty of different types on ebay, but I chose the simplest.
Thought this might be an interesting topic, "Time and tide wait for no man" goes the proverbial phrase (1395).

Having spent a night grounded and dryed out on a croc infested mud bank..went in search of a tide clock, but it's a very rare and often expensive instrument up here.(found a nice time+tide one in Cairns, $350,for big keelers)

Another alternative for instant tide knowlege is the electronic "Tide watch". These were for sale in many jewellers and camp stores. Thousands of surfers, kite boarders and sailers wear them (online sales too)

Now have a Casio G-shock 7900 tide watch, last years model promo sale from Tentworld, $129. The tide function is self contained, just set 3 parameters for your area. So it's not super-accurate but gives an instant overview of the tidal state. The moon phase on it indicates whether "neap or spring" tides are happening. It can predict future tide patterns too. https://www.casio.com/intl/watches/gsho ... .G-7900-1/

The tide watch is lightweight and designed for almost everyone affected by inter-tidal zones or tidal currents (surfers , fishers, sea kayakers, beach goers). Tide watches usually go for about A$160 to $500ish..the more exy ones have bluetooth to load exact tidal data from smart phone to watch.

Not simple good like the tide clock though.
Attachments
Tide Clock ebay.jpg
Casio G-shock 7900-1 tide watch.png
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Re: Tides and currents

Post by IanS »

Handy watch, thanks Andrew. I am pretty sure that the tide data is available offline in Navionics - I must check that to confirm.
Ian, Rhythm #121
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

It's already proving to be very useful, even just best time to walk the dog, go kayaking or swim at the beach.

It doesn't have anything like navionics data Ian, its got no bluetooth or highest tech. so the tide readout isn't perfect (say +/- 30 mins.)To set the tide on this class of tide watch the 3 location parameters to input are.

1) Your UTC eg +10 for Qld coast,
2) longitude
3) lunitidal interval for your region (google on internet).

Lucky my daughter knows Casio digital watch operation, and helped me set it up (has a booklet operation manual in its box too)

But once its set up, only a few buttons need pressing. It's also shock-proof, can take a few accidental knocks. The tide graph readout is small but readable, it doesn't give exact tide times or heights, for this the tide tables or tide apps need to be used.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I was trying to find this Casio Tide watch, the WS1300..

An even earlier model, still on last years runouts at bargain prices. But all stores up here had sold out..

It's less robust than a G-shock but has a far longer battery life of 10 years. It's rated to 100m depth (Gshocks 200m). It's got a bigger tide moon readout and looks simpler.
Attachments
Casio Ws1300 tide moon watch 2024-05-09 102743.png
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Better post this before people go off and get a tide clock or watch.

They DONT WORK if your tide is "Diurnal tide" (one high and one low per day). see the map below.

Looks like the SW coast of Australia is this type of tide (around PERTH's coasts, dont buy a simple tide clock/watch here)
(maybe an advanced more expensive blutooth one will work???)

East coast Aussie, tassy and NZ have "SEMI-DIURNAL" tides (2 high and 2 low tides per day), so tide clocks ok here.
(My area has Mixed semi diurnal tides (2 high and 2 low tides of different heights per day)..tide clock still works)

The attached map and its legend indicate where all these tide types occur around the world.
Attachments
TIDE types map world NASA 2024.gif
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Post by IanS »

That's news to me. Big chunks of Indonesia have diurnal tides as well.
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education ... ycles.html
Ian, Rhythm #121