Summer Reading Suggestions

General Sailing Talk
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Summer Reading Suggestions

Post by Raya »

I thought that it might be interesting to start a thread listing the books that members have found interesting regarding all things nautical.

I recently finished reading:

The Great Windships: How Sailing Ships Made the Modern World by Brian Stafford. It covers the history of sail in a very entertaining manner.

If you read any of the books by Dudley Pope or Patrick O'Brian, you will find this great background material to their adventures.

Please keep the suggestions coming.
The Great Windships.
The Great Windships.
Cover Great Windships.jpg (16 KiB) Viewed 6160 times
Ray
Investigator #39
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Summer Reading Suggestions

Post by Andrew »

Hi Ray, "Tis the season to be reading".. especially up north.

Picked up a bargain book by Jeff Toghill at an op-shop in nz a year ago. (op shops etc near sailing mecca's often good) It's called "ANZ sailing and boating", 1983. It has some good sections about trailer sailing and covers issues like stability vs shallow draft. Allot of other info in there too, including past navigation methods. Jeff lived in Sydney, ran sailing schools, wrote TV scripts, and must have crossed the tasman as allot of material comes from NZ too.

I've bought 2nd hand books from "Abe" books online, they're pretty good (first heard of it from cruising author Annie Hill) Here is a link to my Abe books search for above book. Once on the search engine, you can alter the criteria to search any Author, Title, keyword etc and search for any book https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Search ... f&xpod=off. The books come from many book re-sellers worldwide (i set the above search to "oceania", but it can be set to different regions or worldwide)
Attachments
ANZ sailing and Boating Toghill resize .jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Re: Summer Reading Suggestions

Post by Raya »

One of the reviews of the Investigator in the Magazine Library was written by Geoff Toghill. He wrote more than 60 books about all things nautical. Geoff died in 1975 aged 85.
Ray
Investigator #39