Sail Trim

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Sail Trim

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, found this on UTUBE. Best I have seen. thought you might enjoy, its a great watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwX66PK ... Is2TtojBXF

Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Sail Trim

Post by Andrew »

Thanks Peter,

That's a great tutorial on headsail setup and trim. may have to watch it a few times and take notes/apply. "If in doubt - let it out" is a good saying, often gets the boat going when it feels "sluggish". The bit on sliding the sheets track foward for reaching a new one on me. The "three tell tales" trimming gold.

Teria's problem is luff tension/halyard. Theres no winch or anything to get it tight enough, so always notice it's a bit slack. I crank on the back stay a bit when going to windward to fix it a bit. but it would be good to have a simple method how to tension the halyard when sails raised fully.

Hope she's got a mainsail trim vid out there somewhere..

Cheers

Andrew
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Post by IanS »

I've watched those videos quite a few times, very useful. There's also a free trim training web app here: https://www.nauticed.org/sailing-course ... -sail-trim

For luff tension. I have the original setup with a 2:1 block on the tack (there's a picture in the Moreton Bay Investigator club docs). This in combination with the backstay tackle gives more than enough tension. I replaced the luff wire of my #2 jib with 6mm double braid polyester and I still get plenty of tension. I am in the process of replacing the #1 jb luff wire with 3mm single braid dyneema. Not sure how this will go as it requires fancy splicing. The sails pack down much more nicely with rope in the luff.

Sadly, not getting on the water much at the moment.
Ian, Rhythm #121
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ian, I agree with you in regards to the luff tension. Some with furlers run the halyard down the mast and then back to the cockpit, but I reckon that would make it really difficult to get enough tension on the luff. I have replaced my bow roller / nose cone as well as adding a 2nd hound further up the mast so as to add a 2nd forestay around 6 or 7 inches in front of the furler which has its own turnbuckle for tensioning that, as I dont like the idea of relying on the top swivel as part of the forestay. I also changed the furler to a Ronstan series 60 continuous line furler with the same "D" plate and set ip as the original with the dinghy furler which enables me to furl the headsail in the direction of the twist in the luff wire, no matter which way it has been fitted to the sail. So, as I started to say, the 2 to 1 pulley system is excellent for adding any amount of luff tension in conjunction with the back stay adjuster and I am hopeful that with this set up, I might be able to only partly furl or unfurl. the headsail, although it may still try to unfurl from the top a bit, depending on wind strength. The continuous line of the furler will have two jamb cleats close together to be able to hold the furler in any position. Will be interesting to see if it is successful or not
20240407_105305.jpg
Screenshot_20240412_215401_Messenger.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."