Topping lift

IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Re: Topping lift

Post by IanS »

Hi Christie,

When you are moored with the sail down, you can hook the end of the boom to the bottom of the backstay.

A topping lift comes in handy when you are raising the sail. I just use a fixed line to the top of the mast where the backstay is attached, but others use the block that you are probably referring to (I don't have that on mine). Check the discussion above.

Good luck, Ian.
Ian, Rhythm #121
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Topping lift

Post by Ozzie »

I have done similar to what you said Christie, used TL to hold the boom up higher when rigging my shade shelter. My boat came with a dismountable shelter with poles mounted on hinges on the deck. It was ok but unable to be used under sail. Nowadays I tend to put the boom at the top of the mast track, adjust the TL accordingly and have a high boom tent with the tarp I used to use on the shade shelter.

Other sailers I’ve seen rig shower tents in the cockpit for “after hours “ use for amenities when sleeping with a full compliment of crew . In this case the TL is handy then to get boom well up and out of the way without having to remove it and store it elsewhere. All variables are worth experimenting with I guess :idea:

If your going to rig a spinnaker the block at the top of the mast is needed and then you can also then use the same line in reverse for TL. I’m not a spinnaker user but would be unlikely to need both at the same time if a were.

Hope this helps.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)