Sonata 6

Somewhere for discussion about other trailer sailers and keelboats.
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Sonata 6

Post by Andrew »

Recently spotted a Sonata6 for sale on the street in Townsville, it's my first time to see one up close. stopped to check her out and it seemed to be similar in hull size to an Investigator 563. The main difference being very shallow draft board up and a pivoting keel centercase inside.

Did some Investigating into the design and it seems to tick all the design criteria boxes well. It's weight is 910kg a little bit more than an I563, the ballast is 227kg similar to I563. Beam is also similar at 6.8ft (2.07m). 20ft long. Desgined in 1976 by Jim Voysey in Sydney.

They look like a nice TS design to me, the 8" draft board up would be great for beaching/ramps. (keel down is 4.4ft (1.37m)). Sailboat data has all the specs, the numbers look safe and not far off an I563's design numbers. Have also downloaded the PDF reviews etc.

Anyone met up with the Sonata fleet on your travels?
Attachments
Sonata6 sailing 2023-09-04 084226.jpg
Sonata6 profile 2023-09-04 084307.jpg
Sonata6 Layout plan 2023-09-04 084405.jpg
Sonata spinaker 2023-09-04 153753.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Sonata 6

Post by Ozzie »

The Sonata 6 was almost our first “big “ boat back in the early 90’s Andrew. My boss was selling his and I almost bought it. The accommodations were pretty much Investigator equivalent and I liked the self tacking jib as sailing all seemed a bit of a mystery back then. Finished up going with the Swiftcraft cruiser as I was raised with power boats , but I think it would have been a good choice if we’d made it at the time. Keeler friends did say a few had been known to tip over in club racing on the lake so maybe more tender than the 563.

Still see a few on the lake and more of the larger 7s and similar are about. Friend’s daughter had a moored 7. Cb case as fairly obtrusive in the cabin but then again I’m biased 8-)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Sonata 6

Post by Andrew »

Good to see the Sonata's are good on big shallow inland waterways, those racing capsizers may have had the keel up under full canvas perhaps? Keel down they'd be more stable. The shoal draft would suit going ashore in sheltered waters so no need for a tender/kayak aboard like the I563. Cooking aboard would also be easy with the mini galley area.

I'm sticking with I563 due to the board-up stability for cruising and cabin space advantages.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria