Double Bay to Manly (Sydney harbour)

Stories and pics of Investigators on the water - and getting there.
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Double Bay to Manly (Sydney harbour)

Post by Watto »

Went for my first outing yesterday from the mooring.

Double bay to manly and back. Was a fairly light winded day with a couple of gusts.

First time using the tiller clutch and it worked superbly being able to leave the tiller and adjust things or even just stretch my legs and stand up. Would highly recommend to anyone who doesn’t have an auto pilot. Is probably the best $170 I have spent on the boat.
Attachments
576C5F13-552F-447B-A8C4-528A143C00C0.jpeg
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Double Bay to Manly (Sydney harbour)

Post by Andrew »

Nice place and day for a sail Luke, is that manly hydrofoil still slicing by at 30 knots? (learnt about it nearly the hard way when sailing solo there, it's a heavily imprinted memory!). Good to hear you are getting out there, some incentive to keep tinkering with the boat for the landlocked like myself

Those tiller clutches must make life allot easier,

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=382&p=1729&hilit=ti ... utch#p1729
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Unfortunately Andrew, the hydrofoils were sold off in 90s. Now replaced by fastcats. I never got a chance to ride one but they were a real part of the harbourscape for a long time. Shame. We travel over to Manly often when in the smoke as it’s all part of our oldies gold transport pass and who wouldn’t want a trip over the harbour if your there.

It will be a shame if the standard ferries are eventually replaced by all fast cats as there is great magic in the current old slow boats. We normally have lunch at a Manly pub and come back on the arvo although I’m just as happy with a ferry kiosk pie on the side deck viewing the harbour traffic on the way. My wife says I’m a pleb…..she is right :lol:

Looked like nice day Luke.I’ll keep an eye out for you next time I’m tucking into my pie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_hydrofoils
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Talking about foils, has anyone had a look at the new " Moth foils". They are absolutely unbelievable. If only I was younger. These things are really out there. If you havnt seen them, do yourself a favour and google it
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I thought I had a pic of one wizzing past me on the lake from about a year ago Peter but can’t find it. They are faster than a disappearing political promise but in much the same style cost a bloody fortune . Even second hand ones on gummy are sometimes over 20k . Where do you put the stove ?? Well at least you’ll be home before dinner goes cold .

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carine/ ... 1293326099
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Ha ha, yes Ozzie, not sure you would have time to do any cooking, would be far too busy hanging on I reckon
FullSizeRender.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."