Some late night thoughts on mooring.

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Some late night thoughts on mooring.

Post by Ozzie »

Late night thoughts on mooring
As Ian S and others are mooring their Investigators, I thought I’d throw up a few thoughts on the subject. Also I’m on hols up the North Coast🍻🍹 just me, the mrs, the dog and the little catamaran and sitting with feet up . I’ve decided I’m too old to waste time waiting for Covid to end so “off to the races”

Mooring. Not for everyone, but has its pros. I think guys, if new to the practice, you will find mooring not that bad. I’ve had two moored vessels now since the early 90s and I definitely find I use the boat more. I also have had three small trailer boats over four decades so compared the two regularly.
To us, the main attraction has been that we can use the boat different ways without the hassle of rigup and launch, say just for a picnic arvo. We will often just tender out, throw up a boom tent and chill for the day, maybe have a fish at dusk. Next level is an overnight on the mooring and a fish at dawn. Other level is a cleaning and maintenance arvo with a swim and maybe tea. Then of course there’s a full days sailing/motoring maybe combined with the other chores at the end. I’ve had severe spinal issues since my thirties and mooring has allowed me to (big) boat all this time. If I had to rig and launch every time I probably would have stuck to a small tinny to enjoy the water.

Of course there’s no reason you can’t picnic for the day on a trailered Investigor, but after I rig up and launch after haulouts I’m usually ready for “a Bex and a good lie down” (those under 50 ignore that reference ) rather than a days sailing .

Tinkering. With modern battery power tools ‘on mooring’ maintenance/mods is not really a problem anymore and if we want to, I can beach or park her on the shoals to walk around the outside to do work. Actually it’s a bonus having a water depth to choose from. You can set the hull at whatever height you want, so save bending down or reaching up...can’t do that on the trailer😀

The trick for us has been to have a small, light and quick turnaround tender. In our case a very light 7ft tinny and I’m moored close to the shoreline. Ask whole council has been promising dinghy racks since the Whitlam Administration.

When I bought my old Swifty Cruiser in the early 90s I can remember the old man aghast when I told him I’d be mooring it!!!
“God no, have you considered the deterioration “😬😬😬I pointed out the number of floating gin palaces on the lake worth more than my house… all moored. Yes you must maintain the boat but you must really do that with any boat. The cruiser was trailerable…. only for Arnie Schwartzeneger.

We bring Spritzig II back to sale condition every haulout, plus improvements. Although I maintain my trailer boats they tend not to get that level of facelift. A trailer boat/ TS parked under a tree or tarp filled with rainwater and rotted leaves will deteriorate just as badly as a moorer. Evidence, is the wonderful restorations being done right now on these pages on boats that may have lost the love or commitment of their previous owners. Also I’ve found no hull deformations on Spritz who goes to bed snug on the gentle support of Davey Jones mattress. Bird 🦅 poo is a pain in the anchorage, but a tarp ( drat! I must fit the replacement one) and my newly discovered fishing line matrix helps a bit. Also makes you clean the deck regularly 😁 And speaking of regular, I’ve had my mooring apparatus serviced professionally and annually for 30 years, even before it was mandatory. Part of the peace of mind.

Funny story re moored boats. My neighbour who has a 16ft forward control tinny was talking about about buying an on-site caravan up the coast to weekend at. When he pointed out the cost of the unit and the weekly fees I countered he could buy a 20ft plus keel boat or TS even if the sails were shot and probably for peanuts, (they come up locally all the time) moor it for a few hundred a year and have a decent on water weekender with a 360* water views. He already has the tinny to commute to it. Lots of people do it with old house boats near me. The only stipulation of the authorities is that the moored vessel must be seaworthy and can make a journey, and with a sailing vessel that does not need to be under sail. A 6hp outboard will happily shove a 24ft TS about, my mate had one on his Court 750 ($3000 all up with motor and full sailing rig). If you have a decent OB on your tinny you can swap that to the mooring vessel to travel.

He is now scouting Gumtree.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)