Centreboard pivot bolt hole repair

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Centreboard pivot bolt hole repair

Post by Peter T »

Hi all. Most of this has been going on now for quite some time but I decided to wait until it was finished so I could post the full story. Like I have said in the past, everything is repairable
Inside of keel repair(1).JPG
Showing damage to Inside bottom of keel and flogged out Pivot bolt hole
Pivot hole damage 3(1).JPG
20210206_104222.jpg
Showing the mold I made to be able to insert up inside the centreboard case to effect the repair. Luckily, the starboard side hole was good enough to use it to exactly locate where the port side hole needed to be
20210420_121427.jpg
20210420_121427.jpg
20210515_153436.jpg
Fibreglassed using epoxy and double biaxle rovings as they make for super strength
20210515_153733.jpg
Once the starboard side was completed, I reversed the dummy nylon bolt on the mold and then did the same repair to the port side. I turned up a couple of nylon plugs which I covered the bolt head and nut with, fitting these with marine Silastic. Then laid a couple of layers of fibreglass over the lot to completely seal it all. If Pivot bolt needs to come out again, it's just a simple matter of cutting out the covering fibreglass, remove the nylon caps etc.
20220117_133728.jpg
Also note once the lead was reinstalled each side of the centreboard, the voids around it were filled with expanding foam and then fibreglassed over. I can assure you that no water will ever enter the lead compartment again
The two small holes in the keel bulkhead are for running the battery cables from the battery mounted in the forward inside locker back to the switch panel on the inside of the cabin entrance bulkhead
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Centreboard pivot bolt hole repair

Post by Ozzie »

Once again a comprehensive explanation and photos, thanks Peter. How far from launching now ?
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Centreboard pivot bolt hole repair

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ozzie, thanks. There is a lot more that needs to be done mate but should only be three or four weeks to initial launch. It will go in the water initially as a motor boat to test everything prior to working on the rigging.
Waiting on a replacement outboard bracket at the moment as the one I purchased developed a crack in the plastic part that the motor mounts to. I hope the new one doesn't do the same, you wouldn't think that would happen especially given what they cost. Iam also in the middle of making a new tiller which will fold up as the original is way too low and impossible to get your knees under. Also need to fit bilge pumps and depth sounder as well as some of the electrics
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."