Origo sister stove is Reborn

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Origo sister stove is Reborn

Post by Ozzie »

Mate
That’s a shocker. You’d think fuel stoves would provide the safest form of stoving but the burnt airways incident makes you think of what can go wrong.

Paranoia, while paranoid can sometimes be a handy survival tool. My 17 year old nephew has just got his drivers license. I told him it was the the most dangerous thing he’s ever going to do. Unless he takes up mountaineering. I could tell he was ready to commit me to the oldie farm but I pointed out after nearly three and a half decades in road design/safety I could show him enough pics of bent commodores that had equally bent kids pulled out of them to change his mind. I can only hope he got the message. Statistically you would not give anyone under 25 a license. Insurance companies know this and charge according. Politicians don’t. Enough said on that.

Relevant to TSing and towing, my retired friends have recently bought a nice 20’ van and are getting in some post covid travel. He said he told his mechanic he’s still not really comfortable towing the rig yet . Mechanic said “good ,don’t get comfortable, your a lot safer than way.” Sage advice.

Also sage advice Peter on the butane cylinder valve. Thanks for that I’ll be checking carefully.

Paranoid thought for the day, the furthest you can get from a flame on an 18ft TS is 18 ft :shock:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Spot on Ozzie and if that little single burner $25 stove blows up in an 18 ft boat, you need to be at least four or five times the length of the boat away from it and even then I would be worried.
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Peter T wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:25 pm Hi all, in relation to those small cheap butane single burner stoves, be very careful using them on a boat. There are two types of gas canisters available. One has "CRV" on the label and the other does not.
CRV is a safety relief valve so that if the canister gets too hot, the safety valve will operate instead of it blowing up.
Some people put these stoves into a cooking box. This can limit air around the stove which then can cause excessive heat to build up around the gas canister. Have a look at the U TUBE video.
https://youtu.be/2bnxPIr34SA
Thanks for the video Peter,

Definitely CRV's if boating. But I will leave my "explodo" ashore and outdoors. They are still great little stoves for short-term camping. Didn't know about CRV's. Just checked my canisters, older ones have CRV's and recent el-cheapo 4 pack have none. Also the video mentioned never exceed 10" frypan base size. That's a good tip about no "explodo's" in a galley box, thanks. :D

(NB also have a gas heating torch that fits these butane canisters, very handy)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Cheers Andrew, I thought it very important for all who might use them to be aware both of the CRV's as well as not using too large a pot or pan on them and definately I wouldn't put one in a box where it can so easily over heat. On shore use is obviously the best option with them.
Happy cooking
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."