Origo sister stove is Reborn

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Origo sister stove is Reborn

Post by Andrew »

The BMW of marine alcohol stoves is being produced and sold again! :D

It's the former Origo 1500 (and Origo 3000). But new name, new Company and new sales network

The sales company is "Compass24", the Origo 1500 re-make is called "Alcohol Pan 1500" https://www.compass24.com/comfort/pantr ... l-pan-1500 single burner, suitable for Investigators, (or any trailer sailers, yachts, RV's etc) No alcohol burner will ever be as quick/instant as gas or petrol etc, but it will never explode in your cabin/RV either and can be inverted without spilling fuel. They are virtually maintenance free compared to pressure stoves like Maxi's.

Wonder when a boat shop will stock them down under?, there is a gaping niche void in the marine stove market to fill. Presently internet order only.

Link back to Stoves thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&p=7936#p7936

Seen a few origo reviews on net which seem quite positive, what is your experience like using them on an Investigator?
Attachments
Alcohol Pan 1500
Alcohol Pan 1500
Last edited by Andrew on Mon May 17, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Origo sister stove is Reborn

Post by Ozzie »

Nice bit of kit Andrew. My bother in law who I mentioned in an earlier thread used to hire camper vans prior to fitting his own out and they often had origo stoves in them, similar to Geoffs. You’d think renting anything, bareboat, camper whatever would be a shipload safer with alcohol burners rather than trusting your gear to dimbulbs with gas appliances. Maybe the hire business will help drive up the availability of this model. Particularly boat hire.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Yes, if the hire boats and RVs get into it would be great.
Sure hope it makes a comeback and stays around.

Each burner is 2 kw about twice a Bonnetti, HPV or Trangia burners output. The burner run time good, 4.5 hours.
Origo 1500 was $270 in its day, this may be a bit more landed here..
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Manango
Investigator Boat Name: RIPPLE

Post by Manango »

179 pounds UK, so between $350 to $400 landed in oz including customs duty but not freight
Rick Huntley

Project Boat "RIPPLE" under modification - Tow vehicle Ford Wagon or if the boss lets me a Subaru Forester Nanango QLD (approx 200Km NNW of Brissie)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thats a stinger price alright. Probably be worth it if you keep a stove like this for life, carry it between boats and go camping too. Never know when this type could go out of production again either, a potential collectors item. Definitely upmarket gear for the discerning navigator.

Would suit livaboarders. Has anyone seen the prices of yacht galley stoves lately? , they make the Compass24 single1500 or double 3000 prices look OK :-)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Manango wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:26 pm 179 pounds UK, so between $350 to $400 landed in oz including customs duty but not freight
It's 25% off now 135 Pounds UK.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Just found this Australian Origo replacement stove (via gumtree search) - The "Nova1" stove, 1.8kw - 0.3kw burner, similar pan size and design to Origo's. holds 1 litre, $195 ;) Made in Northern Sydney (but currently none in stock)

https://daltex.com.au/product/nova-1-me ... rit-stove/

They also make a 2 burner, "Nova2" for $295 (608mmx290mm base size) in stock
Attachments
Daltex Nova2 Pan Sydney 2021-09-21 083720.jpg
Daltex Nova2 Sydney 2021-09-21 083854.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Thanks Andrew
Viable alternatives and cheaper even at $295 than Origo and Bonnetti at around $425.
I’ll still stick to my gas stove and be extra anal about cleaning and gas canister storage.
I’ll include this warning about fuel stove accidents that should increase Ozzies paranoia even further 😫
https://www.bushwalkingleadership.org.a ... r-dangers/
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Yea, the Nova1 single burner is just a bit more than Trangia hike stove price, but nearly twice the output heat. no user reviews on them as yet.

Interesting safety article on stoves. Maturity, training and competency of user a major point. Don't have multiple types of fuel around to avoid mix ups. Heat test to see if its still burning, or cooled down to hand touch temps before refill.

I'd add, refill or reload stove outside cabin
and Store fuel in safe container outside cabin if its practical (cockpit locker on I563)

Kids or teens more likely to have an accident. When in scout camp in 1960's only had wood campfires. But in seascouts 1971 aged 11 managed to throw burning meths all around a boats cabin. not refuelling but repriming a pressure kerosene stove that was still too hot. Lucky the burning fuel didnt go on anyone.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, in relation to those small cheap butane single burner stoves, be very careful using them on a boat. There are two types of gas canisters available. One has "CRV" on the label and the other does not.
CRV is a safety relief valve so that if the canister gets too hot, the safety valve will operate instead of it blowing up.
Some people put these stoves into a cooking box. This can limit air around the stove which then can cause excessive heat to build up around the gas canister. Have a look at the U TUBE video.
https://youtu.be/2bnxPIr34SA
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."