Sail dimensions
(77.02 KiB) Downloaded 600 times
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Dr. Peter

Re: Sail Dimensions

Post by Dr. Peter »

Good afternoon forum,
I just recently purchased Pip (Sail No 127) from Matt (Normanby). for cruising purposes - my wife and I race other craft.

The mainsail is original (multicoloured) and pretty well knackered. It needs to be replaced.

I did note the sail dimensions provided, but am I right in assuming that I563s are not actively raced and owners are able to customise their sails?

If true then here is an opportunity to upgrade the boat significantly by taking advantage of more modern sail technology and manufacturing techniques - I am thinking here about a fully battened mainsail with more roach in the leech.

What are forum members using for all their sails?

Peter
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Welcome, Peter and congratulations on buying an excellent boat.
There is no class racing in Melbourne, however if you do want to club race, then you will need standard sails otherwise your rating would not be accepted. In addition, we know the boat is nicely balanced with the existing rig, so I personally would not be inclined to change dimensions.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi Peter!
I am a new Investigator owner too, based in Geelong.
Our club here, the Geelong Trailable YC, has two Investigators in our fleet, so if you want to share some great sailing on Corio Bay, just give me a hoy.
I'm currently doing a 33 year maintenance on my original boat, and it's due back on the water in about 4 weeks.
I can,t comment on mainsail design changes, but figure their cut matches the boat's 1977 design.
Cheers, Geoff
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

Yara50 wrote:Welcome, Peter and congratulations on buying an excellent boat.
There is no class racing in Melbourne, however if you do want to club race, then you will need standard sails otherwise your rating would not be accepted. In addition, we know the boat is nicely balanced with the existing rig, so I personally would not be inclined to change dimensions.
Ian,
Your point about the sail plan being well-balanced is well taken.

What about the general sail wardrobe - where do you sail generally and what do you carry?

Peter
Peter
Pip #127
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

geoffr wrote:Hi Peter!
I am a new Investigator owner too, based in Geelong.
Our club here, the Geelong Trailable YC, has two Investigators in our fleet, so if you want to share some great sailing on Corio Bay, just give me a hoy.
I'm currently doing a 33 year maintenance on my original boat, and it's due back on the water in about 4 weeks.
I can,t comment on mainsail design changes, but figure their cut matches the boat's 1977 design.
Cheers, Geoff
Have sailed to and around Corio Bay in other boats. St Helen's is a a great little hidy hole. I would think the I563 is well suited to that place.

My current club is Yarrawonga YC but we don't intend to sail our new aquisition at Lake Mulwalla very often, if at all.

If I did race it up here - it would be one of the slowest trailer sailers in the fleet. We bought it to go cruising.

It would be good to get together with some other owners and compare notes. So I will holler if we decide to go down your way.

Peter
Peter
Pip #127