Greetings from new Investigator owner

General Sailing Talk
geoffr

Greetings from new Investigator owner

Post by geoffr »

Hi everyone!

I have just become the proud and excited owner of a new (well, S/H) Investigator, which I will be towing down to Geelong (where I live) in mid November.

I plan to start sailing on Corio Bay, after spending many years inland sailing at Lake Eppalock.

I'll attach some pics of the boat once I get the hang of this uploading.

It's in great shape for its age, but would benefit from a refit and some interior decorating. The biggest possible problem is a sticking plate. I suspect I'll have to hoist her up (on a sling) and drop the thing out for a good clean. I hope it's that simple!

I've really enjoyed reading the past comments and posts on this site, and have found the information very helpful in my decision to buy this boat.

I look forward to keeping up this really useful forum.

Cheers for now,

Geoff
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Yara50

Re: Greetings from new Investigator owner

Post by Yara50 »

Welcome to our happy band Geoff.
It would be interesting to hear some details of your new boat- Name, sail number, where bought etc. If it is one listed in our "For Sale' section we would need to move it to the "Sold" area.

Was the boat on a mooring? The original plate was just galvanised steel, so after a while the galvanising can wear off and the corrosion causes swelling. Some boats have stainless steel or aluminium centreboards.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi Ian:

Many thanks for your welcome.

The boat I have bought is called Qumbu -- named apparently by its first owner, a South African, after a small village in SA.

For the past 17 years, it has been owned by an old friend at the Bendigo Yacht Club. The sail number is OY255.

The boat has mainly been used in fresh water (Lake Eppalock), with the occasional burst of sailing down on the Gippsland Lakes.

For the past 3 years, it's been sitting on its trailer in the previous owner's driveway (as he's getting a little old to sail it now).

The boat appears to be in very good condition, though the canopy has been bolted down and sealed -- a modification I intend to reverse in due course.

I also need to inspect and possibly fix the centreplate. It could just be clogged up with sand/gravel -- but it could be worse. I have a hoist organised to do this job, but would appreciate any advice on what size and materials to use to replace the bolt and its sleeve if need be.

I'm collecting the boat and towing it down to Geelong in mid-November, then I plan to work on it over time to restore it properly (though, as I said, it's in very good condition as is).

I attach a picture here, and will update you all once I begin work (and sailing).

In the meantime, if anyone knows of this boats history (pre 17 years ago) then please let me know. The current owner bought it from someone in Melbourne's eastern suburbs.

Cheers,

Geoff
Attachments
QUMBU.jpg
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Hi again:

I just remembered that the other repair job I need to do fairly soon on QUMBU is to replace the wooden gunwale strips along the full outer edge, as the current strips have cracked in the weather through exposure.

Ditto the cabin handrails above, which appear to be about a 1 1/2 inch diameter dowell of some description.

I would like to replace these with timber again, but seal the timber (clear) against the water and weather.

I would welcome anyone's thoughts on the type of timber to use, how to have it routered to the appropriate profile, and what to paint it with to protect it against the elements.

Some friends have suggested teak (if I can get it and afford it), or meranti, or even a fine-grain Australian hardwood.

I'm open to suggestions, with thanks.

Geoff
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Geoff
I have added some data and info on the centreboard in our technical section. "Swinging, swinging.. -
http://www.investigator563.com/forum/vi ... p=648#p648
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara