General Sailing Talk
Franklin
Investigator Boat Name: Franklin

Hello All

Post by Franklin »

Hi Folks,
Just introducing myself.
I’m based in Brisbane, QLD
I’ve a bit of experience building and rebuilding boats.
I don’t own an Investigator, but like what they are about. A good, honest, solid pocket yacht.
I’m certainly interested in buying one for a full refit at some point, although given current time constraints I doubt I will be looking to buy in the next 12 months.
I’m just keen to learn more about them in the mean time.

Cheers
Franklin
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Hello All

Post by Peter T »

Hi Frankin and welcome. You will find a wealth of info on the 563 on this forum. Enjoy
Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Topaz Bill
Investigator Boat Name: Secret Chord

Post by Topaz Bill »

Welcome from me too Franklin. A lot of the joy of boating is in the anticipation, they can be a bit like a meditation to distract us from all the noise of life.
Bargains do appear from time to time, good luck and welcome aboard.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Hi mate and welcome, I should have said hello when I approved your message but figured you’d turn up in your own thread.

When ready to buy, might I suggest a wanted ad on Gumtree. It’s how I got Spritzig II years ago (trading post) . It’s amazing what people have lying around. Many Lake Mac boats have turned up on here over the years that I’ve never seen on the water, like mine was, they were probably sitting in a car port unused.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Franklin
Investigator Boat Name: Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Thanks folks.
What are people’s opinion on the Vberth? Would it fit 2 adults?
Thanks
Franklin
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Afternoon all. I think this is a useful topic so I am going to start a new “V BERTH “ thread in technical section and duplicate the question and David’s response. I’m sure we would all have thoughts on the v berth and sleeping aboard in general :idea: so please if you have contributions continue them there

Ozzie
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Welcome Franklin, Old boats like Investigators need owners who like restoring, building and customising stuff a bit. Its half the fun.

Its a capable pocket cruiser ive found out, never a worry about stability and plenty of bouyancy load carrying for size. The keel hanging down makes it more of a mini keeler in use , rather than the usual "leave it on the beach" light displacement typeTS design, (which also has its benefits, but maybe limitations as well)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Topaz Bill
Investigator Boat Name: Secret Chord

Post by Topaz Bill »

It depends on what type of sailing you are doing. The amount of stuff I end up cramming into Secret Chord is amazing, so a lot of it ends up in the v berth area. For day sailing or a weekend with one or two would probably be ok. I use the quarter berth only, I did follow a suggestion to fit a board and sleep cross - ways across the quarter berths, which was a total disaster.
As usual, I completely emptied the contents of the yacht when I got back the other day. Everything dumped on the lawn while I scratch my head and decide "what do I really need" on the next trip.
I would find day or weekend sailing, and thus using v berth, more stressful than a long voyage where I don't have to deal with traffic, red lights, boat ramps, and having to organise others in such a confined time space.