Standing rigging.

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Standing rigging.

Post by Ozzie »

I posted in the gallery that Mal is another happy furler user. I am servicing my furler during the haulout but I am going to add a backup straight forestay. Ian , I remember you mentioned once you have an extra forestay but attached to the original masthound. Would that give clerarance to the furler or do you think I would need an extra hound slightly above.

I know you are not a fan of the original furler but so far it has worked for me and I use it as a reefer in light wind to control speed. Should it become damaged or unfixable though, it will probably not be replaced. I am replacing all my standing rigging in fact including the u-bolts on the chain plates as discussed here before but wondered if I should replace the tensioners on the shrouds. they look very sturdy. Comments?
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Re: Standing rigging.

Post by Yara50 »

I was told by a rigger that using do-it-yourself swages for standing 1X19 rigging is not accepted by insurance companies for the size of wires we use. So for the single shroud stays, I had professional rigging terminals made. Whether the adjuster fittings are useable depends on the type. Post a pic?

I made a new forestay so that I didnt need the furler.

If you wanted a furler, I would rig a separate halyard, with the swivel and upper block, and away from the forestay. You would still have the swivel and short halyard going back to the furler, but the other one going down the mast. That way if you have a tangled, flapping mess, you can still drop the furler jib.

I think maybe Rob in Palamida has this.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Yes, I intended to get everything done by a local rigger. Not a cost problem when you consider it will be expected to last for years. I will take the lot and get him to appraise the adjusters.

The standard furler on S.II has the halyard returning to the furler and rotating with the sail. It works quite well. I have even added a small tent strainer and various clips for rigging and tensioning. I interlace the halyard with the sail clips as suggested in, I think in the Mort,Bay Assoc documents It stops the rig from bowing out when the halyard is tensioned. Post a pic when I rerig in the yard.

I am also going to set up some slab reefing lines and experiment with that when I get the rigging back.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Hope you can see the rigging on Palamida, here in the early days of Robert's custodianship. He subsequently fixed the rake, however, this pic shows the separate forestay and furler halliard.
Showing furler sail independent of forestay.
Showing furler sail independent of forestay.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Ah yes I see it has its own mast hound.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)