Where can I buy toerail

tomgat

Re: Where can I buy toerail

Post by tomgat »

hi
No Way, before I order is it possible to see photos of yours? I am also interested in seeing how your stanchion are attached as I need to install these as per wife's orders.
------------------

new york private investigator
no way

Post by no way »

See previous pics for toerail detail.
Will take pics of stanchion bases at weekend and post
no way

Post by no way »

A couple of pics of the stanchion bases.
I used the original triangular bases - cut the stanchion off - then welded a new plate on top of the old plate and outboard - then re-welded the stanchion on the outboard edge of the square plate. The triangular plate uses the same inboard hole with the other two under the overlap - new outboard holes thru the toerail.
Attachments
stanchion base 2.jpg
stanchion base 2.jpg (70.72 KiB) Viewed 8207 times
stanchion base 1.jpg
stanchion base 1.jpg (68.88 KiB) Viewed 8207 times
no way

Post by no way »

My Bad. Knew and dealt with Alan in the 80's and since. He was getting on. Sad as he was badly dudded by Seawind Cat when they went belly up then phoenixed in Vietnam. The extrusion for the toerail is off the Adams 10. Maybe the guys in Newcastle who used to build them might help. Saw a post that said Phil West from Sheerline Spars might have some connection A10 moulds
no way

Post by no way »

Was suggesting that the Adams builders or their connections (Sheerline Spars) my have some lying around. The big Aluminium extruders have owned very few marine dies since the late 70's. The dies are all owned by the user. In '78 cost us $1600 to have die made for a mast which had previously been a Comalco section, because when the die broke they just deleted it - a process they continued for years. We had to have a 250Kg billet extruded each time we need more stock.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I’ve had two poly boats now and given the popularity of such materials and the ease of manufacturing I’m surprised some lightbulb hasn’t seen an opening for poly toe rail. You could extrude it out like poly pipe on order. Is that possible.

I leant my brother in law my 1974 FG kayak for a cub masters canoe training session. He said he was the only dude there with FG , everyone else had poly. Next, the poly trailer sailer. :|
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.flexiteekaustralia.com.au/a ... eek-2G.pdf

I spoke too soon it is actually available and in Australia although I’d say the price is astronomical and it’s only top of deck mount not the edge cover. It’s plastic not sure what sort.

Erhm, the toe rail is down the bottom of the page the first photo is slightly misleading :D
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f5 ... 62206.html

I’ve known about the plastic deck stuff for yonks though not familiar with various brands. Just following this stuff up out of curiosity regarding the toe rail. I’m usually put of anything that won’t give you a price. The expression “if you have to ask you can’t afford it ” it does not apply to me, I’m more of a “ if you won’t tell me the price #@$& off “ kind of bloke.

Anyway old post talking about the decking and posters experience with Australian branch.

Well, there was a good start that went down a hole.

I think No Way’s Aluminium Toe Rail profile is the go . Picking up that extra deck space is great. My rail is a flat Z shape so takes away an inch or so, and I have big feet. But hey, I got it for a song, so all reason went out the door 🚪 :P
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Good evening, my last last yacht was a Roberts 24 that I purchased as an unfinished project. It was just a raw fibreglass hull with no decks or anything else when I got it. When it came to the toe rails, what I did was use long lengths of aluminium. It was about 50 mm wide and probably around 5/16 inch thick. I made up stainless "U " bolts by threading the ends of a short length is 1/4 stainless rod and then bending them into the U bolt shape using a jig that I made. The toe rail was U bolted to the stanchions, push pit and pulpit. Because of the dissimilar metals ( aluminium and Stainless) I insulated the two by turning up some nylon bushes with a small flange on one edge. The holes for the U bolts were drilled out larger than the diameter of the U bolts so that the nylon sleeve pushed into the hole from the outside of the boat leaving the small flange on the outside. The U bolt was fitted from the inside and stainless washers and dome nuts were fitted from the outside so you could not catch shoes etc on the nuts. The aluminium went from the pushpit to the pulpit all the way around the outside. The bottom of the toe rail was an inch or two above the deck. Where I wanted to fit openings for mooring ropes etc, I made them up out of about 3/8 stainless rod with a thin piece of flat stainless welded to the bow edge and the stern edge and bolted them to the aluminium using the same nylon insulators. They were around the same height or just higher than the toe rail or a little and about 100 to 150 mm long. The toe rail stopped at one end and started again at the other. They did not weaken the toe rail in any way. The top of them had an opening in the ss rod which has a kick out on one end and A kick in on the other, allowing room enough to get the rope in there. They worked a treat and many have copied them since . If the aluminium lengths you get are not long enough, just weld them together end on to make them long enough to be put on the boat in one piece per side. The aluminium was etch primed and painted with 2 pack marine gloss be gore fitting to the boat. I never saw a sign of corrosion on them anywhere. The beauty of them was that they did not hold water on to the deck and were high enough to never be able to have your foot slip overboard. They do not weaken the existing staunchens, in fact they stabilise them making them stronger. They were perfect and I reckon I will fit exactly the same to my Investigator above the existing teak ones that are there, just leaving an inch gap between them

Hope this helps
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Excellent set up Peter. The gap above the timber giving good drainage is great. On Spritzig the toe rail has tendencies to hold a bit of water and on the mooring that traps a slurry of pelican guano that dries in the sun adding to that “Moored boat ambiance “ particularly the smells :? .

A bit of clever engineering in your setup, particularly bending up your ubolts. Pic would be great if you have one.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)