Long time boatie, first time sailor

General Sailing Talk
Yara50

Re: Long time boatie, first time sailor

Post by Yara50 »

[*]Stove in bow area- I think this was a mod that Robbie Kirk did on their boat, and I agree, gas stoves inside a small boat without the protective safety devices is dangerous. However, easy to remove and a Porta Potti can be had for about $150.
[*]Starboard locker glassed over- is ok, will give you a proper quarter berth if you need it. Many older yachts do not have cockpit lockers, and you would still have one.
[*]The biggest worry- holes in deck. The deck is a sandwich construction, and if those holes have not been sealed then rot can penetrate the internal wood layer. Easily checked- how much does the deck deflect when you walk on it? If it is noticeable then forget this boat.
[*]Centreboard needs work- it is only work, relatively easy to fix.
The Investigator was built in a number of locations, so it is possible the diesel was factory fitted, but it would have been a one-off. What make is it? Spares available?
You could always offer say $3000, and then you would have room to move to fix things.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Chief

Post by Chief »

Hi Ian Thanks for the info, the diesel is a Kubota and are no longer available, $6200 for a new Yanmar with controls, gear box, loom. plus installation, There are too many holes in this boat and I had the same concern that it needs a lot of work, I offered $4,500 and he would'nt even consider it he believes this is a much better Investigator then any other because of all the modifications, it would be a great template for a full rebuild, like "sherlock" had done, but I don't have the knowledge or money to do that, I will have to keep looking for a nice original Investigator and stick with the outboard option. I took some video on the boat I will try and post it if I can ??? :roll:
Fair Winds
Chief

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I think Ian that there was somebody on th old forum who had an inboard diesel?? or was it one of the boats up for sale at some stage. Cant recall.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Chief

Post by Chief »

Poor little Investigator sail number 104 has been butchered once again :o The gentleman trying to sell this little boat had taken it to a local boat yard as the diesel engine would not start, as it turns out the boat yard removed the engine pulled it apart with out asking and advised the owner that he would be up for a $2,500 rebuild plus installation costs! :shock: .
The boat yard then said they would fibreglass the holes up and keep the engine in exchange with no charge! I think the owner was taken advantage of and due to the fact that he did not have the money to rebuild it or to get them to reinstall it, he opted for the cheapest option. So not only does this poor little boat have three or four holes in the hull from failed transducer attempts but it also has three more holes from the engine removal that have been glassed up, add to this all the additional holes in the top deck and she is one butchered little boat. This puts an end to this boat for me and if anyone knows of a tidy Investigator for sale near South Australia or Victoria please let me know. Still on the hunt!
Chief
Fair Winds
Chief

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Sounds like the owner fell for a classic con job. There was a thread on this at TSP.
http://trailersailerplace.com.au/forum/ ... php?t=4924

Suggest you point him to it, and see if he can get some compensation.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Chief

Post by Chief »

Thanks Ian Good advise I will forward this to him!

Chief
Fair Winds
Chief

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand
gwilmott

Post by gwilmott »

Cheif
I have a Investigator I am thinking of selling Lake Maquarie if your interested. Registered trailer and brand new Mercury 5hp longshaft motor still in the box.

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

This must be the one in the video I note the caravan window.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)