Specs of original outboard well

General Sailing Talk
snoopebj

Specs of original outboard well

Post by snoopebj »

Curious as to how the original motor sat in the port locker outboard well. Was there a hole through the bottom of the locker for the outboard leg or did it poke out through the transom. Also how did the motor swivel down.
You might think I have finally taken leave of my senses but I think it was a good idea and contemplating a refit. Have read experienced sailors comment on the vulnerability of transom hung outboards when sailing out in the big blue. Witnessed personally rescued stink boats with both main and aux motors flooded after taking a stern wave during a southerly buster down here in the Gong.
So guys any info and thoughts
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
johnw810

Re: Specs of original outboard well

Post by johnw810 »

Hi
I have only seen one Investigator with outboard in port locker it didn't swivel, steering was with rudder and bottom of locker was cut out. The owner of the boat had trouble with water surging up and swamping motor.

Mokum 145
Calaway

Post by Calaway »

Calaway had a transon built into the port lock. A 3.5 Tohatsu mounted was able to be tilted up out of the water as the hole in the hull was shaped like an egg plant. A hinged flap of this very shape could be closed when the motor was not being used.
After having the motor swamped a vew times from surges and being knocked over in an unexpect gust I decide to buy a 5hp 4 stroke and mount it on a transon bracket.
I have glassed the flap in place and am in the process of glassing floors into the well.
If you are still interested in changing your boat to this terrible design, I can take some pics that will show in detail what it looks like, also diamention measurements.

ps. It was also buzzing and noisy even with the lid closed.

Pete
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

I had an outboard mounted in a well on my Bluebird 22. However, it was central in the cockpit, and it did take up some leg room. Also allowed the 2 Hp to drop through into the briny once. No provision for tilt. On long passages you had to remove the O/b and put in a plug. Good point- easy to service and start. Bad point- fumes in the cockpit.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

The case against is growing. The fumes factor, wave surge, vibration as well as lost space seem to outweigh the advantages of protected engine and accessability. (Probably why the well was discontinued on later Investigators.)
Maybe a spare small outboard in the locker instead would be a better idea.
Thanks for the input fellas.

Emrys
solo

Post by solo »

I like to put a word in as well. The original idea of the Investigator 563 came from a Brisbane sailing personality ,Scott Barrett, brother of a well known actor Ray Barrett. this is why the original name was "Moreton Investigator" I had the pleasure of knowing both quite well many years back. The well was designed to only fit the 5hp Volvo outboard, wich could swing down and nearly sealed the pear shaped cut out. the lid had to be open with the engine running otherwise the engine was starved of oxygen. In those early times owners of the boat had the option to have the motor in the locker or on the back of the boat. Most opted for the extra space of 2 lockers and after Volvo discontinued the production of the 5 hp motor the idea was killed.

Regards Gunter
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Well there you are - I did'nt think Queenslanders had the seafaring nouse to design a boat. : :lol:
Ray Barrett was an Aussie icon for sure.
Cheers

Emrys
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Interestingly my Investigator (143) has no outboard well but a reflective foil sheet that is almost worn off is stuck under the cockpit locker lid above where the outboard would go .Anyone else have this??

Completely useless trivia of the day:- Ray Barret, using a very convincing yank accent, voiced the puppet for John Tracy the Space pilot for "Thunderbird" 5 when he lived in the UK in the 60's :D

Use that on your next trivia night ;)
Attachments
mi5john.jpg
mi5john.jpg (30.93 KiB) Viewed 6137 times
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Thunderbirds are go.Virgil

Emrys