British Boat owners on sailing on a budget.

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

British Boat owners on sailing on a budget.

Post by Ozzie »

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.ph ... n-a-budget

Found this thread funny. Posted by Dylan Winter of Keepturningleft fame.

Thought you lot might have your own tips on the subject.

My tip is have a permanent search set up in gumtree for marine parts and accessories within 2 km from home. Every week it sends me an email on new listings . If something good comes up I'm usually the first enquiry . Got my rare single burner metho Maxie for $20 that way and folding rear SS boarding ladder for $30. My ancestors were Scottish like Dylan. ;)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Dr. Peter

Re: British Boat owners on sailing on a budget.

Post by Dr. Peter »

The keepturningleft website or youtube place is great fun. I highly recommend it.
Peter
Pip #127
atles

Post by atles »

2/ fixer uppers are money pits – buy the boat you can afford now and buy one that is ready to sail.

:lol: yes and no if you got only $1000.00 to buy a boat.
but you look at $10,000.00 dollar boat you are dreaming.

find that fixer up boat and the key words that is nearly sea worthy buy it for your $1000.00
and add to it over a long term. your sailing.

or like some one tried to tell me oh! take out a loan for 90 k
then go sailing yer right i would have to work 7 days a week to pay that loan off.
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I’m nursing a scotch and dry on a Friday night and reading some old posts while contemplating a haulout for Spritz next week . May need a second scotch to confirm that.

Anyway I read this post from wayback and the Dylan Winter post referenced therein and thought I’d bump it for any newer members , lurkers who may not have seen it. I was in the boat yesterday doing a bit of bottom cleaning in prep of the haulout and it struck me again what a fine little vessel it is. For our 40th wedding anniversary my thoughtful wife got me a fantastic oil painting of the boat on the mooring by a local marine artist. I was very moved. Even once we have moved on from the boat it will be an everlasting reminder of how much fun it’s been.

I said it before on here somewhere, but again, as value for enjoyment money the Investigator has outshined all my watertoys over a lifetime of boating. Pretty much all our vehicular toys as well. It’s owes us nothing.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)