Roller reefer

sol invictus

Roller reefer

Post by sol invictus »

Hi there,
Happy new Gregorian calendar year to all.

has any one had any experience with a ProFurl C260?
I have ordered one through Withworth but the Reefurl unit looks OK too http://www.justboatparts.com/
the profurl is $100 cheaper the Withworth, looks a little more pro.
eitherway I think I'll fit a new forestay and go to 3.2 mm or a little bigger to over-kill.
the 3.2 wire is rated to around 900Kg, (more than the boat weighs)

btw.
great work on the new site. haven't had a chance to get my boat on the water since last season, 5 days from Southport to Hobart taking it easy.
Steve
Investigator "Sol Invictus"
Melbourne
Yara50

Re: Roller reefer

Post by Yara50 »

The furlers with a rigid torque tube like you are getting are IMHO the only ones worth having, as they really can reef the sail. However, for trailer-sailer use it might be a bit fiddly to rig.

Looks like you are the first of the Investigator 563 s to go this way, however there are a few who have used them over on trailersailer place. http://trailersailerplace.com.au/forum/ ... jib+reefer
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Calaway

Post by Calaway »

Calaway has a solid torque tube and it works very well for reefing. As for stepping the mast with this system and headsail attached, it adds a bit of weight but I can manage the lift on my own. I weigh 70kg. Calaway has a reefing/furling line running down the starboard side to the cockpit.

Happy New Year.
Pete
Normanby

Post by Normanby »

I fitted one of these to my investigator:
http://www.furlings.com.au/index.php
I had one on my former boat and loved it. Some might think it a bit agricultural, but it worked easily every time, simple and tough.
It's made no difference to my mast raising, especially since i bought the new Mastmate TC (trolley car) mast raising system:
http://www.mastmate.com.au/products
I promised the maker (David Jenkins) that i'd take photos and post them here and on TSP, which i'll do, as soon as the good sailing weather stops...
Cheers,
Matt
Melbourne
Investigator 563 "Pip"
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

It is interesting to see that there is a number of users of the reefing system. Definitely far better than the original furler.

I would love to give myself some "retail therapy" by getting one, but at the moment I am trying to simplify the exercise of taking the boat out. Not having an interested family, all the work ends up on my shoulders. Maybe I should advertise for a nubile female crew....
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
sol invictus

Post by sol invictus »

OK folks...
I ended up buying the Profurl 260 for $599 from Whitworths....
I'll try to take some pics as I rig it up and make notes in case some other punter goes the same way.
I have done considerable work to my investigator, got her in a sad but structurally good condition on a mooring.
a year latter she lives on a trailer, has been repainted in and out and some holes fixed as well as re upholstered rewired and re-almost all.
she came with a rather large genoa that can become a struggle on anything above 15 knots, so the roller reefer should pay off.
I'll have to do some mods to the sail and may as well rig up a new forestay.

I may take her up to the big island one day and join a cruise with other Investigators.... not many that I know off here in Tas.
there seems to be a lack of any trailer yacht solidarity ;)

I'll post some pics of the renovation job at some stage.

cheers
David
Steve
Investigator "Sol Invictus"
Melbourne