Fish Oil to protect axel and brakes on trailer

General Sailing Talk
Mark

Fish Oil to protect axel and brakes on trailer

Post by Mark »

All

I am doing my annual maintenance in readiness for spring etc. Today I replaced wheels on trailer but I need to replace pretty soon the brake hubs as they have seized and very rusty.These were new when i bought boat 5 yrs ago so pretty short life given I only drive the trailer less than 10km per year!. I will also be repainting the trailer in gal paint after minor surface rust removal.

My Q is: rather than paint axel and brake hubs etc, do you think they would be protected better by regular applications of fish oil?

These are the parts which degrade most easily despite washes each time boat used, and epoxy painting seems not an ideal protective measure but looking back at Ozzie's posts he has used fish oil very successfully on his CB whilst moored and so this may work well on a trailer brake and axel parts that are dunked every few weeks.

Opinions and comments welcome.

Best

Mark
Yara50

Re: Fish Oil to protect axel and brakes on trailer

Post by Yara50 »

Gavanised hubs are the best solution. If you put oil on the discs the brakes wont work!
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Mark

Post by Mark »

Maybe i was not clear i meant external hub casings etc i realise oil on brakes = fail
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I'm a fan of fish oil Mark as you say. I think it's main plus is it never really dries and as such sticks better, longer but can wash off over time . I can remember cars I've had rust proofed over the years dribbling oil out of the door drains on hot days.

I'm totally kicking myself now for not painting my whole trailer with it 12 years ago when I bought it . I would not now be facing repairs as I am.

Another trick I've been advised of, is to hose trailers at the ramp tap after launching, particularly after a full dunk.This is a pain I know as most boaters are keen to park the trailer and get on the water but it washes the salt off immediately and does not give it a chance to "marinate " the trolley while you are out sailing, fishing whatever.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Ozzie,

funny you mention about the post dunk wash, a colleague and me were discussing that very strategy at marine rescue recently, as you say everyone keen to get on water and so never done.

I think I will take Ian's advice also and fit gal break hubs and drums and then treat any other parts which are not gal e.g. axle etc with FO. I am lucky in that my old Manta trailer probably the original, is in relatively ok shape with the gal only breaking down to a small extent and is I believe treatable to keep it going for a few more years. I priced new trailers recently and about 4K seems to be the go for a replacement for our boats.

Cheers

Mark