Hanked-on headsails

Dr. Peter

Hanked-on headsails

Post by Dr. Peter »

Good afternoon,
The recent severe storms across the country managed to tear my self furling headsail in two. I had my boat in mast-up storage mode when this happened.

So, with adversity, comes opportunity. in this instance: hanked on headsails. I was thinking about something a little smaller than standard because one-up sailing is in my immediate future.

Any thoughts forum? Like for instance you have found a headsail from a competitive class that works for an I563.
Peter
Pip #127
Yara50

Re: Hanked-on headsails

Post by Yara50 »

Hi Peter. I wouldnt go smaller. The standard jib is a little small IMHO. If it gets too much to handle you can drop it from the cockpit with a downhaul. It is also reasonably easy to reef the main from the cockpit and standing on the cabin step. Heaving-to before reefing also helps.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Peter, after you get your new sail have you considered a jib sock as per this link

http://www.uksailmakers.com/cruising-ge ... /jib-sock/

Most furled sails have a uv strip sewn on the edge if the furler is left on in the sun but these remove the need for this and protect from sun and wind damage as well. I am thinking of getting one made myself for next summer and leaving the jib hanked on. As the article says you can use it on other sails as well.

Edit. Rather than fit extra lines I thought I could just reverse the topping lift to hoist it as I pack my boom/ main away. Or just use the spinnaker halyard if you have one.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Post by Greg »

I got a beauty for free off an 18ft skiff, it was its storm jib, was fully battened (since removed) and needed a small repair. Its huge compared to the standard jib but doesn't effect the way the boat moves (faster or slower) in a strongish wind, it only helps when the wind is really light. I hank it onto the forestay and use a downhaul when i need it down fast. I was originally going to use it additionally to the standard jib but now its pretty much all I use unless it's really rough.

In the linked photo you can see the standard jib layered over it to get an idea of the size.

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder ... =3&theater
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
atles

Post by atles »

:shock: that is great!
good pick up Greg.
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

No more responses unless you really want to. I have decided to order exactly what I had before from Eastwind Sails, a furling headsail of the standard size. In the end I decided since I was so happy with the first sail from them, why change?
Peter
Pip #127
atles

Post by atles »

:) Peter,
Get the new sail like you have just said.
keep looking out for a gumtree or eBay sail that is a smaller size to play around with
they do pop up now and again.and if you pay $20 or $30 for it.
it does not matter if you put it in the bin later.
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane