Mast Fittings, Sheaves and Halyards

Tenaciousgreen

Mast Fittings, Sheaves and Halyards

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Good evening guys,

Its taken a while (3 years), 3 spine operations, but my Investigator is close to returning where she belongs, in the water after her refurb! Pictures will follow soon, after some finishing touches. In the meantime, I turn my attention to the mast and few jobs that need doing.

The Main Halyard as most, exits at the base of the mast stbd side, but it appears the previous owner hauled from the mast and secured to a cleat on the mast. Obviously with my back issues and safety I want to run the main Halyard to the cockpit. Some pics or advice on how you guys do this would be great.

Jib Halyard (not furling jib) runs externally on the mast from a fixed block at top of the mast. It looks like it was run to a block on the cabin deck on the port side of the mast and then to the cockpit and a jammer. It seems odd to me that the jib Halyard would run to the cockpit, but the main does not. I would have expected vice versa, as a jib thats not furled requires someone to go fwd to untie before hauling. Any experiences from you non furlers (if there are any).

Have any of you guys replaced sheaves in the mast, as mine are a little worn. The one where the main halyard exits is a sheave in a block which has a chip out of the wheel and will cause chaffing if not replaced and the main sheave at the top is just worn. Both are rivotted in and I have not idea how to change them. Also I currently have wire halyards for both, although the sheaves are not wire sheaves? I am going to change all to rope, I think just to dampen noise if nothing else.

Finally, could anyone give me pics or description of how their back stay and tensioner are set up and attached to the transom.

Thanks in advance
Rich Tolley
Yacht Name: Spirit of Christy
Mandurah, WA.
Yara50

Re: Mast Fittings, Sheaves and Halyards

Post by Yara50 »

Backstay is on each side of the transom, with pulley connected to the single part, so that the load is shared. On one side, Starboard, a set of tensioning pulleys with simple jamb setup. Photo shows the attachments on either side of the mainsheet track.
IMG_0008 (Small).JPG
The main halliard is led back to a clam cleat and horn cleat in the cockpit.
Main halliard (Medium).jpg
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

I have both halyards running through the mast. This is based on Phil Carr's set-up which works really well. I installed a new exit block for the jib halyard just under the forestay hound. i also installed 2 exit blocks offset in height as to not weaken the mast. See attached photos of both Phils setup and my slight variation. I have spin lock Rope clutches. You will have to drill out the old rivets in the exit box to replace it. I also took off 2 horn cleats on the mast as they had long screws protruding inside.
Attachments
IMG_1480.jpg
Phils halyard setup.jpg
IMG_1483.jpg
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

Pics of my set-up. The winch will probably go soon.
Attachments
mast exit block.jpg
my setup.jpg
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic
Tenaciousgreen

Post by Tenaciousgreen »

Thanks for the quick response. Certainly helps me get a picture of what I need to do. Hopefully I will upload the piccies of my boat soon for your perusal.
Rich Tolley
Yacht Name: Spirit of Christy
Mandurah, WA.
no way

Post by no way »

I replaced the tabernacle on the deck with a stainless steel version with tangs either side to take a double block each side which feeds the halyards (main, jib, spinnaker, pole topping lift) out to double blocks near the hand rails (as other post pics) and then back to the cockpit - 1 winch either side with jammers forward. I also replaced all the exit boxes on the mast with the correct ones for feed direction and rope halyards
Attachments
tabernacle 3.jpg
tabernacle 3.jpg (86.45 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
tabernacle 22.jpg
tabernacle 22.jpg (69.08 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
tabernacle 2.jpg
tabernacle 2.jpg (77.8 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

Digging around in my garage I re-discovered a complete spare mast base plug and mast support fitting (Tabernacle.) If anybody needs one let me know.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have halyards running aft through deck organizers to rope clutches and winches.
4 lines = main halyard, jib halyard, spinnaker halyard and boom topping lift.
The halyards go through exit blocks and turning blocks at the base of the mast, works well :)
Attachments
control lines 2.jpg