Just bought a 563

General Sailing Talk
Boxy

Re: Just bought a 563

Post by Boxy »

Thanks Ozzie, thanks Atles.
Yep, seen these set ups.
My problem is:
Head stay is on a swivel from the hound/horseshoe.
The pulley to haul up the wire luff jib is above this, as opposed to being also part of the swivel----or indeed below as Atles describes.
Above all of this is another haul up....spinnaker?.....but there is another at the mast head.

So, assuming Ol mate who did sail this boat set it up like this and it worked......what goes where?

There are pulleys at the cockpit for the spinnaker sheets, a pulley at the foot of the mast, another on the first port stanchion at the bow. There is a stay wire to the pulpit rail above the anchor roller attached to a saddle. A saddle above this and a sheet guide. I'm guessing this is for asymmetrical spinnaker attachment. There is a spinnaker pole but it doesn't have a bridle fitted.

The furler, which is the same as Atles, doesn't have enough line on it so I also guess Ol mate didn't use it.

So lads, to get back to something that appears normal.
Should I set up the forestay/headsail halyard like the Carell images (Ozzie?), remove the lower spinnaker halyard and put heavier line on the mast head system for a spinnaker?

I'd like to be able to use the furler, but also agree that being able to drop the jib in an unexpected blow would be desirable too, then get a storm jib hauled up. Ideas? Given that I'd only like to change things once on this rig and get it 'right' the first time!

Cheers,
Boxy
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (55.74 KiB) Viewed 5441 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi boxy,
I was to the understanding that the 563 originally had no jib halyard . It was set up with a twin forestay and a linkage, when you tensioned the fore stay you tensioned the jib luff on the furling forestay,,, so when you stood the mast up, the sail went up too. Some may have only had a wire luff jib on a furler that carried the rig.. People that had these set ups would run into problems at times when the furler would refuse to work so they would have to drop the rig to drop the sail.
Maybe someone else with experience of these set ups could elaborate a little more.

Steve
atles

Post by atles »

see below
Last edited by atles on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
atles

Post by atles »

boxy the key to pulling up the jib is the swivel
below that should be a pulley and a rope going though it

see what happens is when the sail is up you pull on the cord at the back of your boat
and the sail wraps around the front stay and the rope rolling it all up.

also the pulley at the back of your boat should be for the back stay tension.
if you have no pulley below the swivel sound to me like he use one of the other mast head ropes

to save on the amount of line coming out of the mast.

one more thing he could have use some of the lines to pull up the mast by him self
as your photo shows another pulley on the stanchion at the bow.
atles
Investigator #133 sky bird
brisbane
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Erhmm...wot Atles said :)

Adam slightly hard to tell from your pics what you may have but..

http://www.lankhorsttaselaar.com/Catalo ... oduct.aspx

This page shows a ronstan furler system similar to the standard 563 BUT it can be lowered . This may be what you have looking at your larger furling drum. The top swivel in this system is stopped from spinning on itself by a wire bracket across to the fixed forestay. Does that look like it could be your setup??
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Boxy

Post by Boxy »

Ozzie, pretty sure it's a standard furler, the bigger one available from ronstan.
Have seen the swivel with the arm that goes to the forestay.
I've looked at an old post of yours on tsp and made a decision.
The spinnaker halyard can stay for now.
The mast head line can stay for now.
The pulley jib halyard I'm going to relocate to the swivel and set up a system like the original design.
My rationale: someone smarter than me designed it like that and that'll do me for now.
Then, when I'm smarter, I'll add a separate forestay above the furler system.
That's the plan for now. What do you reckon?
Only variation could be a forestay above the furler, i.e. Reverse what I have and connect the forestay forward of the furler.
Steve

Post by Steve »

forestay hound 3.jpg
Hi Boxy,
Here's a picture of the forestay hound and the jib halyard arrangement I use.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Mate I say go for it. As you can see from the variations on the various boats here there are many ways to skin a cat. Atles shows the standard setup well in his pics . It's as per the diagram in my tsp post . I added an extra hound and reserve forestay later above the existing as I'm moored and my little boat has ridden out some extreme weather out on its digs so I wanted to eliminate the possibility of one of the many failure points letting go when I'm NOT sailing if you get my drift.

Steve's setup is good too with the neat extended hound for the top stay . My double hound looks a bit odd but only I notice it. I think redundancy is a good thing. Works well on aircraft.
I also have a short strop loosely going between the top and bottom D ring on my adjustable back stay pulley in case of failure. I also had one on the front furler when leaving the boat on the mooring till I added the extra forestay.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=512&p=2482&hilit=Backstay#p2482

The standard furler has its uses and limitations as you will see from my previous posts. They have difficulty operating well in very heavy wind. In a normal days sailing , gunk holing around the lake and fishing and anchoring however they can't be beat. They are convenient and keep the tiny foredeck free of sails.

Also you can use them as a speed control in "light" winds by reefing them part way to sail onto a mooring or beach without using the motor. Reefing in strong winds is not what they were designed for although some people have beefed the system up and do use it for that.

Good luck . My offer still stands for a hand if you need it.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Aussie'
Thanks for posting that link(http://www.lankhorsttaselaar.com/Catalo ... oduct.aspx) I now see how some 563 sailors may modify it to do away with a forestay and just use a wire luff sail to carry the rig on a furler. I think Dr Peter uses something similar.?? Beats the hell out of furling up halyards. :?