Advice for a potential future 563 owner

General Sailing Talk
fatpaddler

Advice for a potential future 563 owner

Post by fatpaddler »

Greetings all!

I've done a little sailing on and off over the years (with even more periods of paddling in between) but think it's time to get my kids out on the water and into sailing/boating as well. My last boat was a Dennis TS500 which was fun and easy to sail solo but was a bit of a pig to handle. From the past month of desktop research (as well as a chance encounter with a lovely couple and their 563 last weekend at Clontarf Beach in Sydney), I'm pretty sure a 563 is the right boat for me and my girls.

So I'm out there looking for one to buy, and keen on any advice from the forum on specific problems to look out for. I've read a few other threads so I can see potential issues such as leaks into the bilge/keel area, soft spots on the deck, damage to hull etc. Anything else in particular I should look out for?

Lastly, on Gumtree I count four 563s for sale in the "Sydney region" (i.e. from Fairfield in the south all the way to Nelson's Bay to the north). Does anyone know the history of any of these, or is anyone on here the owner of one of these boats for sale? Would be interested in any background info before committing my hard-earned to the venture.

Cheers! Sean
Investigator #111 "Missy"
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Advice for a potential future 563 owner

Post by Ozzie »

Sean. I have looked at the one at the yacht brokers at Marmong cove but only through the fence. It looks very nice but even as a fan of the 563 I would have to say that 9.5 k is top dollar. It does look like there is nothing to do on the boat and trailer is good .

Motor and trailer can really tip the price one way or 'tother on these boats . Personally I think anything can be fixed if you like DIY . If not go for a fully renovated boat. One school of thought is you are better buying a cheaper boat with a crap motor . Turf it out and buy a newer or new motor. I have always had well serviced old , second hand motors but I would restate the old adage that a bad motor spoils a good day on the water.

Hulls. It has come to light on our forum that a lot of road miles can be harmful to a FG hull , more so than mooring one in some cases , which I don't have issues with. If it means anything i would look for a boat close to the coast or at least one that presents with a history of not a lot of road use.

Im sure others will have other valuable advice or different points of view .

Good luck . I'm retired so happy to have a look at any on lake Mac for you if you want an advance opinion before travelling.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
fatpaddler

Post by fatpaddler »

Many thanks Ozzie. The Marmong one has come down to $8.5k ono, and if it's in really good condition then I may be willing to stretch to around that. That said, there's no mention at all of an outboard with it, which feels like a bit of a deal-breaker at that price.

There's a couple more at the $6k mark, and believe it or not a very badly advertised one here in Sydney that says great condition but priced at $3.5k (its not advertised as an 563, but thats what it is). Will probably have a good look at that one anyway, as at that price it could be worth spending money to fix her up.
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Sean. Took a look on gumtree at the ones you mentioned.

The Port Stephens one looks good at the price. Four stroke OB but no size given and in the photo it's hard to tell. Some owners have made do with 3.5 hp but 5hp gives some reserve for racing jetskis etc. 8-) Five sails on that one.

The one at Rathmines for 6.5 k also has lots of new goodies which would cost a bit to add to an older boat. That one is a mystery. I sail over to Rathy a lot but have never noticed it. Have not been that way yet this year so maybe it's mooring is only recent. Don't be put off by moored boat. Spritzig II has been moored for 10 years and I sail her more that way. Most of the boats worth more than mine are moored ;) .

The other option I always advise is post a wanted ad. That way you are not competing with other buyers on a newly listed bargain and you may get one that has been sitting snug and warm in someone's car port for ten years that they just felt like getting rid of when they saw your communique. That's how I got Spritzig II at an excellent price with a few cosmetic repairs and two new tyres needed.

If you want to come up this way. I'm good with coming with you to take a look if you give me a bit of notice. Send me a pm.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Further point on hulls Sean. If you reread this forum there are increasing worries regarding rollers on side supports which my transmit more point loading to the hull possibly causing deformation to the hull structure. This may be caused , but not exclusively , by previous owners adjusting them up too high. Ie the bottom keel rollers should take the weight of the hull on the trailer and the side rollers are there exclusively for the purpose of keeping the tub upright .

I note all the trailers in the three gumtree adds have roller side supports. This does not mean the boats are lesser in any way , just means check that area carefully to see if there is any substantial deformation. My old trailer has the original long bunks on the side supports . I have replaced the rubber skid material which goes a bit hard and scratches the hull on launch /retreive with marine carpet.

None of this stuff is a deal breaker but you can have an extra look at that if it concerns you.

Can't find the phantom investigator not advertised as an investigator . Where is that one?
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
fatpaddler

Post by fatpaddler »

Ozzie, so much good info there, thanks kindly! Once I get closer to buying I may just take you up on your very kind offer of having a look.

Here's the phantom listing...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/canley-h ... 1100165545

Cheers, FP
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hi again Sean, well I'm having a big forum day today ,for sure. Mate I would run do not walk to that one at 3500 negotiable it looks , at least in the photos, to be a good deal. No mention of rego or motor but visually it seems in good nick and it is undercover in the pics so not filled with gum leaves rotting in the cockpit and fresh water ( can be quite deleterious ).

Certainly leaves you cash left over for a new 5 hp merc/mariner long shaft if there is no motor or old motor. Not much info in ad. I would at least give him a ring and get more detail . Is it close to you?
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
fatpaddler

Post by fatpaddler »

The pic shows an outboard on the front of the trailer actually.... I'm more concerned that there's no sign of mast, boom, rigging etc!

It's not close, but not miles away. It's more a matter of timing of available funds at this stage, but as soon as I have clear cash available I'll head straight over.
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Yes I can see the motor now you have mentioned it . Looks like a 3.5 mariner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCK1llVes5E

This was a 1975 motor I think . Air cooled and the little brother of my 5 hp air cooled. Great motor hard to kill but not really a selling point . I estimate mine , though it still runs has a commercial value of 1.75 cases of beer. Maybe .

Could be a bargaining point and the motor will get you on and off shore till you can get something better if it runs . You could always make an all up offer of 3 k without motor and the vendor can sell it himself. Anyway good luck.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
neilmac

Post by neilmac »

One thing to really check out is the trailer. Something I was not aware of when I bought my boat. I have been blessed/cursed with a tandem trailer. Recently spent $1500 on new axles, wheels/tyres and brakes... ouch. Also trying to figure out what to do with the carpeted interior - some thing to definitely avoid. Clean and simple, thats what investigators are about.
Neil
Compass Rose, Elsternwick Vic